1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Only starts in safe mode

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Seth, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Seth

Seth Thread Starter

Nothing seemed to have happened and all of a sudden my computer only starts in safe mode.......... no error messages on startup or anything either. Im running Win98SE....... one thing ive noticed is that on the bootup for primary and secondary drives there is nothing there......... and in safe mode i have no cdrom or my cd writer available at all.......... is this just normal for safe mode??? i have power to the drives as they open and close......... and i know they are both plug and play as i put this machine together myself........ any clues out there???

thanks

Seth

2. brianF

brianF

Try this article from microsoft about bootsafe=1
    HERE

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have you tried restoring a previous registry? To do so, press and hold the ctrl key as soon as the computer begins booting. When the startup menu appears, choose the command prompt option. At the c:\> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

use the arrow keys to select a prior started registry.

You may also need to see if this applies...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q143283

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

It is normal not to have CD access in Safe Mode.
    the next time you are in Safe Mode, go into Device Manager and look for Device Conflicts and any kind of Exclamation points of red x's in front of devices.

I doubt this next solution applies. However, look for Wnbootng.sts in the Windows Folder. If you find it, delete it. Boot to windows.

5. Seth

Seth Thread Starter

okay....... i restored all registry and nothing....... i have also tried now scanreg/fix....... and i get a message telling me i dont have any extended memery driver. i have no idea what that means

and when i startup with command prompt only w/o safe mode i finally get an error: " could not allocate code/patch RAM below 4mbyte boundry. try to load SBEINIT.com before SMARTDRV.exe or minimizing VDISK.RAM. Creative SB16 emulation driver not loading"

in device manager, i had no conflicts or yellow explanation points, everything was fine......... but i did however cease all acceleration on the video card......... and then deleted the video and sound cards from the device manager......... could this be the reason im getting this message now??

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Just a hunch, startup in SafeMode and then do this and see what happens.

Click on Start>Run, key in msconfig and press enter. Select "Selective Startup" and then Un-check "Process Autoexec.bat" and "Process Config.sys". Click on Apply and follow the prompts to restart. If does startup in Normal mode, try a few restarts to be sure it stays there.

Let us know what happens.

7. Seth

Seth Thread Starter

Bryan is the man!! What a pro.........started up in normal mode now....... im gonna go copy all of my files and prepare for the reformat if this happens again. Thanks man.

8. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    If you want to post the contents of your Autoexec.bat and Config.sys file, we can probably help you comment out the problem lines.

Start>Run, key in sysedit and press enter. Locate each file name in the blue title bar and click on the title bar to bring each to the forefront. Then just copy/paste their contents to a reply here.

9. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

had a very similiar experience yesterday... ended up doing a system restore twice before I got it back to normal... along with trying to restore sound drivers....
    Haven't a clue as to what the heck happened.

10. Seth

Seth Thread Starter

rem
    rem *** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! ***
    rem
    rem This file was created by the System Configuration Utility as
    rem a placeholder for your AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Your actual
    rem AUTOEXEC.BAT file has been saved under the name AUTOEXEC.TSH.
    rem

rem *** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! ***
    rem
    rem This file was created by the System Configuration Utility as
    rem a placeholder for your CONFIG.SYS. Your actual CONFIG.SYS
    rem file has been saved under the name CONFIG.TSH.
    rem

i located the folders where it says the information is stored, but they seem to be those types of folders that when u open them, u get that pop=up asking what program u want to open it with. And it seems that it was only these 2 in the sysedit that had relocated information....... all the INI files seemed to be there.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Those are the "placeholders" created by msconfig for troubleshooting.

As the note says, your real ones now have a .tsh extension -- and so it's those which need to be copy/pasted :)

An easy way of finding them would be to go to start and run:

notepad /autoexec.tsh

notepad /config.tsh

12. Seth

Seth Thread Starter

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\RAMDRIVE.SYS 8000 512 /E

rem - By Windows 98 Network - C:\WINDOWS\net initialize
    ban /nc
    ndisban
    redirall
    rem - By Windows 98 Network - C:\WINDOWS\net start
    arswait
    z:login
    SET BLASTER=A240 I10 D3 H7 P330 T6
    SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
    C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You might want to wait for Bryan's advice on this if he's still looking in on this, but for starters I would remove the following entries:

rem - By Windows 98 Network - C:\WINDOWS\net initialize
    ban /nc
    ndisban
    redirall
    rem - By Windows 98 Network - C:\WINDOWS\net start
    arswait

These appear to be a legacy of an old Novell install, perhaps win3.1 vintage.

In addition I would comment this line, thusly:

;DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\RAMDRIVE.SYS 8000 512 /E

can't see any reason to be loading a ram drive here...

The actual problem involves loading of the sblive dosemulation drivers; but hopefully these corrections to the file will allow it.

14. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Follow Rog's advice and remove or comment out those lines from the .tsh files. Then go back to Msconfig and reselect the processing of those two files and restart Windows to see if it boots clean. If not, then there's a problem with the SB DOS emulation drivers. Let us know what you find.

15. Seth

Seth Thread Starter

okay..... i hope comment out just meant to delete those entries from the actual notepad file and note some other version of the file....... well i did that, and rechecked those 2 boxes that bryan asked and it started up fine........ if u guys can help me just solve this problem that ive had for a while now on startup i wont have to reformat at all.

i get an error in the system INI files called VVINESD.386, and asks me to push any key then the machine will finish loading and boot up, has done this every time for a while now........ any solutions on this one??

and thanks again by the way, u guys are great!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice