1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}password dilema

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tickbean, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tickbean

tickbean Thread Starter

Having spent hours recovering from a disasterous pc crash and replacing lord knows how many programs I thought I was ok!
    Oh dear, When re-booting I am asked for a password to enter windows? I exit this box having given no anwer to this request and use the dial up box. Yet another problem! my password cannot be remembered and I have to enter it every time I make a connection. With the little knowledge I have I have tried to add new client as suggested, but no luck there either. Would appreciate any help, in laymans terms please, shall we say this older chap ain't a wizz kid lol.
    Am running OE 5 in win 95 Many thanks

2. angel

angel

You're two probs are related. Try this... do a Find (Start>Find>Files or folder) for *.pwl. Any that pop up, delete them (or rename them to have some other extension if you would like). Now reboot and you will be prompted to enter a username/password for Windows. Enter a username, leave Password blank and hit ENTER - do not hit cancel, ESC or the X.

3. tickbean

tickbean Thread Starter

Hi Angel, cannot locate any pwl files. Not sure what the sign in front of the ( .pwl) is. Is it * sorry

4. tickbean

tickbean Thread Starter

Many thanks Angel, have now solved the problem with your help.
    All the best Tickbean

5. angel

angel

thanks for letting us know!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice