1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] PC will not startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ckcth, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ckcth

ckcth Thread Starter

AST BIOS Ver-1.00.05.BUOQ
    Old pc that we were going to fix up for our children to play on. We deleted some old files that were on here to free up some space. Now apparently windows and everything is gone. When we reboot it goes through all driver info then goes to the A:\> propt . Right before that it says " Write behing data will be committed before command prompt returns" For help, type "Smartdrv \?". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ckcth

ckcth Thread Starter

3. ckcth

ckcth Thread Starter

sorry hit the wrong thing when I was trying to write back, and now everything Is deleted from what they wrote..

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    So if it's going to the A:\> prompt, you must have a floppy in the drive and I'm guessing it's a Windows Boot Floppy Diskette and you're trying to boot to it because Windows won't start, is that correct?

If not, remove the floppy diskette from the floppy drive, restart the PC and see if it boots into Windows.

If you've tried that I apologize, I'm just not completely sure from your post what you've done on the PC up to this point.

5. ckcth

ckcth Thread Starter

Ok I have took out the floppy and the Cd and tried to reboot. It says "Insert bootable media in the appropriate drive". I have a hard disk restore on floppy disk, and 2 cds
    Microsfot windows companion and AST Advantage Data Disk 4.0. Just cant seem to get anything to load up

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Obviously the Windows install is trashed. You must have deleted some of the files needed to boot from the root directory.

Not sure what that AST CD is but hopefully it's a Windows Restore CD. Have you tried just inserting the AST CD and restarting the PC to see if it boots to the AST CD?

If my memory serves me, the Windows Companion CD isn't the Windows operating system CD which is what you would need to reinstall Windows. So to be sure, you don't have a Microsoft Windows CD? Also, I assume it's running W95, is that right?

7. ckcth

ckcth Thread Starter

Yes just did, It says insert bootable media in the apprpriate drive

8. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Do you see or hear it trying to read the CD when it's booting up?

9. ckcth

ckcth Thread Starter

The small green light flashes for just a second on the cd drive then goes off. I do not hear it trying to read it

10. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    What version of Windows are you using to post here right now and what version was on the AST PC?

Did this PC ever boot into Windows since you had it? I assume it did because you said you deleted some files but you could have deleted them from a DOS prompt so I'm asking this just to be sure I understand what's been done.

11. ckcth

ckcth Thread Starter

I am sorry windows 95 on the old pc. I have windows me on this one

12. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Did this PC ever boot into Windows since you had it? I assume it did because you said you deleted some files but you could have deleted them from a DOS prompt so I'm asking this just to be sure I understand what's been done.

13. ckcth

ckcth Thread Starter

Yes it would work just fine until we went into the control panel and deleted some old files that were already on it

14. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Is the floppy or floppies supposedly the drive backup?

15. ckcth

ckcth Thread Starter

1 Floppy is the one that apparently came with it" Hard Disk Restore"
    The other is an old floppy that we copied last night from bootdisk.com

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice