1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Please help me!!!! {exe's don't run Win XP}

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by InfamousG, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. InfamousG

InfamousG Thread Starter

I have morpheus the file-sharing program and I think I downloaded a virus. I've downloaded a few minor ones before but it was never anything I could get around. The problem is that I can no longer open any .exe files. I found little ways to open my movie player and internet but I can't run any programs. I keep getting an error that says:

"Windows cannot find '(location of program.exe)' Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search."

When I go to search and type in the program, the search locates the program and I recieve the same error. I've also tried going to the root of the programs and opening them there but I get the same error message.

I would really appreciate any help I could get on this matter and I thank you in advance. "G"

2. brianF

brianF

moving to security forum

3. brianF

brianF

4. ratchet

ratchet

5. InfamousG

InfamousG Thread Starter

I tried the free online virus scan and I had 32 of them but my problem still exist. I used to have virus scan software but when I installed XP I didn't have it anymore. I still can't run any programs anymore solutions I'll welcome them graciously. Thanks again I'll keep tryin' "G"

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Did you try the exefix08 file from reticulated toys? There is also a .reg version of it available, unzipped from the IE ONLY link at the bottom of the page. This may run if the .com version doesn't.

7. InfamousG

InfamousG Thread Starter

I'm now completely virus free but I still can't run any .exe files on my computer, any suggestions are most welcome. I went on the net and I heard that there are .exefix programs but the one I ran didn't work but I not sure if I was supposed to run it while the virus was still on my computer or not. Then the program said it was for win 95/98 but I have XP and I can't find one for my OS if that is the case. Then I was going to try to manually get rid of the trojan virus as it turned out to be but because of the internet virus scan it was deleted. My guess is that traces are still left on my computer or it did some damage that I need to find out how to repair. I attempted to install another OS but because I can't run any programs that also failed. Well that's all I have now, any help would be greatly appreciated. "G":confused: :confused:

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Which one did you run? It should really be done after the virus is removed. The registry entries for executables should be the same in XP so it should be OK to run any of the basic patches.

Did you try any from the Reticulated Toys site?

I'd try the exefix08.reg file on this page:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Only_IE.html

9. InfamousG

InfamousG Thread Starter

Itried to run the .inf file and it did nothin' the exefix08.reg file won't work it says I must rename the rgeedit.exe to regedit.com. I don't know how to change the complete name and file extension. I can change the name with rename but it doesn't change the .exe part. If someone would clarify this it would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

When you tried the .inf file, did you right click on it and select "Install"? If you didn't do it that way it wont work.

To use the other ones...
    Just right click on regedit.exe and rename it to regedit.com

Then test it by running it and see if the registry editor opens. If does, try the patch again. We can also try some manual registry editing if you can get the registry editor to run.

the extension .scr can also be tried. Rename it back once you have gotten your .exe's working again.

There is another .inf file on this page, but I'm sure it is less extensive than Rmbox's and probably only applies to one key:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article07-102

11. InfamousG

InfamousG Thread Starter

:D For some reason I went to the recaculated toys site again and tried to run the EXEfix08.reg file again just for the hell of it and it worked!!! I appreciate all the help and I hope this forum will help any others with the same problem. Thanks again I really appreciate everything.:D

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Terrific, I'm glad to hear your back in business :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice