[Resolved] Please help with viruses

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

perseous

I have detected several files that are infected with a trogen horse. My Norton viruse 2000 removed all but one of the files. How do I get rid of it without letting it out of mw Quarentine file? Please I need help.

What is the name of the trojan that Norton found?

And what is the name and location of the infected file? Is it a system file that Norton won't delete?

Which version of Windows are you running?

perseous

I am running Windows ME. It will detect it but it will not delete it. There were 6 files all together and now there is one. The name is WNAD.EXE.

There is some information on the source of that here:

http://www.cexx.org/osama.htm

The reason that Norton is probably not deleting it is because there is a registry key associated with it that Norton apparently cannot delete on its own.

Here is what I would do:

>> from start, run regedit
>> click in order:

+ HKey_Local_Machine
+ Software
+ Microsoft
+ Windows
+ CurrentVersion
RUN

>> with the RUN key highlighted, look for an entry in the right hand pane referencing wnad.exe
>> right click on it and delete it.

>> now close the registry editor and reboot you computer. See if Norton will delete it now.

perseous

That seems to have done it. I deleted it last night night and rechecked my computer it said that it was all gone. Then I got your message and checked my registry. It was there as well. So I did what you said. Thank you very much if not for you I would have had a reaccuring problem. And now for everyone that reads this if you post a question and Rollin' Rog responds listen to him he knows what he is doing. He has helped me several times and he is damn good at this. Thank you Rollin' Rog.

Thank you for the kind words perseous, we do have many fine helpers here.

If that bugger does come back we will want to take a look at what you are downloading, since that should be the only method by which it could reappear.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online