1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Printer networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by faith, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. faith

faith Thread Starter

I have a linksys router connecting two machines (Win98se) to each other and the internet via cable modem. I can access the internet and get into each computer's files fine, but I can't seem to connect the printer.

The printer is on my downstairs machine and is set to be shared. when I go to install if from upstairs, I get messages that various files can't be found on the computer that is connected to the printer. I browse and search and I can't find them either.

This is making me nuts. What can I do? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

2. brianF

brianF

The files may be on the install disk that came with the printer, they could be on the windows disk.

If your desperate, remove the printer from the current machine after you shut it down. Take it upstairs and install it on the other.
    Then take it back and put it on the original machine and try to install it to the upstairs. Had to do that with an hp once, never figured out why but it worked, after that installing it was no problem.

3. faith

faith Thread Starter

Thanks, I just might try that. It's annoying me.

I tried installing the printer disk on this computer but it didn't help. I've got the windows disk on the hard drive...

I know just enough to be dangerous!

4. faith

faith Thread Starter

Well Brian, your idea didn't work. But I finally went to the HP site and downloaded some drivers from there rather than using my disk. When I installed THOSE drivers, I was able to print to my network printer. Weird, huh? Maybe there was an upgrade in the drivers or something... Anyway, I'm happy. Thank your for your quick help. I love this site, by the way.

5. brianF

brianF

sorry about that, my hp722 wouldn't install unless I did that.

Glad you got it fixed

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice