1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Printer too

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GUSMAN, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

I read in this forum about someone having probs with a lexmark printer. and find I am getting similar ones. I run Win 98 SE, and have a Lexmark Z42.
    Things were great, but while typing a letter the other day, I had an error message "cannot communicate with the printer" and it would not work whatever. this hapened before, and found that swapping my lead about in the back (I have 2 USB ports) would eventually get it going.
    So I did an uninstall-reinstall, and part of the way through it asked me which port will I be likely to be using, and gave a choice of Lpt 1, file or fax, there was no USB choice. I cant remember which I chose the last time.
    Now when I use it, it says the printer is offline. When I used to turn on the PC the printer would go through a few motions, and if you lift the front cover the cartridges would shoot across to the middle, but now it is dead, exept for a quick movement of the cartridges when you first power up the actual printer..
    I had a message when I installed the driver "Lexpps has caused an invalid page fault etc etc" but this used to happen before and caused no problems. I actually deleted this file and the printer still worked fine.
    I dont know why this has happened but any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Cheers, Gus.
    PS I bought a new USB cable, but it still wont work.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Gusman
    I am not sure what happend to your attempt at reinstall your printer sine it should have been relatively smooth. Here is what I recommend you do now. Go to your control panel to add-remove programs and remove the Z24 install. After program is removed then go to the device manager in system device drivers and find any reference to your [email protected]% and remove the references. The may be listed under com or lpt1 or even left over from the previous install under a usb reference. Make sure no references are left.
    Now physically remove the printer from the system and shutdown the computer. Restart computer and let it go all the way to desktop. Now shutdown again. Physically hook up the printer with the cable supplied by Lexmark or another V1.0 Compliant USB Cable, have your install CD handy, turn on printer and start the computer. When the wizard find the new hardware you will have to insert the CD and browse to the location specified by Lexmarks instruction in the attached website. Make sure you have it find the file that is specified.
    Here is the article. For some reason the article will not allow a hyperlink so you will have to copy the URL remove the quote and paste it in an open address line in IE. Sorry about that.
    "http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-bin/...e=English&country=United States&query=install"

Let us know how it is going.
    Dave

PS: if link does not work copy and paste from text file in post below.

3. slipe

slipe

In addition to Dave’s good instructions, Start>Settings>Printers and remove the printer from the printer folder before you shut down the first time.

Often with USB printers you can just unplug the USB, uninstall the software and remove the printer from the printer folder (and from device manager if it is showing there). Without rebooting you should be able to plug the USB back in and get the “New hardware found” box so you can install the driver according to Lexmark's original instructions. If the computer doesn’t find the new hardware when you plug the USB back in, unplug the USB and do it Dave’s way.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Gusman
    Text file with url for usb inside.

Attached Files:

5. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I followed your instructions carefully. There were no references for the printer in the devices at all, but when I restarted the pc there was no new hardware detected.
    What I am wondering is, have I got a faulty USB cable ???

It is strange how the printer decided not to work all of a sudden, and when I said earlier I had a new USB cable, after I tried it and nothing happened I took it back and am now using the old one.

Without following these instructions, the new one would proparbly not have worked anyway, so I am wondering if I should buy a new one again, and then go through these steps and see if the pc will then detect the new hardware.

Let me know what you think, and thanks heaps for your advice so far, well appreciated it is.

PS. The USB cable has been a bit squashed behind the pc, and I am not sure how robust they are, so it could be damaged.

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Gusman
    Quitting all of a sudden without warning concerns me since you attempted another USB cable and now back to the original. You also mentioned that you tried both USB ports on the back. Lets systematically eliminate causes......
    1)Get another V1.0 Compliant USB Cable and try both ports on the back of computer tower.
    2)If another computer is available try printer on another computer.
    3)If another USB device is available try another device on current computer.
    Keep us posted on your progress.
    Dave

7. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

ok Davey, cheers mate, I will let you know how I get on, when I buy a new cable t morrow.
    Thanks,
    Gus.

8. ezymony

ezymony

my lexmark has gone haywire a couple times i had to unistall and reinstall then one time i unplugged it from wall plug and it reset or something anyway it started working again.

9. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I bought a new USB cable, tried both ports, but still no new hardware detected. I have copied an image of my USB ports in the device manager to show you. I am not getting a choice of using a USB port when I use the installation disk. Is it worth daisy chaining the printer to the scanner do you think? or is it the printer itself that is nackered?
    I always get the message "The printer or port is offline" and the power light is continually flashing. I am at the end of my tether now. cheers
    Gus.

Attached Files:

• usb.jpg
      usb.jpg
      File size:
      84.1 KB
      Views:
  10. Davey7549

Davey7549

Gusman
    I do not think daisy chaining will solve the problem. I am not sure if your controller is working properly. Do you have access to a known good PC to try your printer on?
    Or do you have access to a known good USB device you can try on your system?
    We need to find out if it is the printer or your usb controller.
    Dave

11. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

hi guys nice to have you back,
    I have tried a few things with my printer since we last spoke.
    I connected it to the parralell port that runs my scanner, altered the settings when installing the driver, ie choosing the new port, but still no joy.
    Then I took it to a friends house and tried his pc, but using the USB or the parralell ports was no good, as neither identified the new hardware at all and when I installed the driver, there was the usual "printer is offline" message.

Lexmark kept going on about the intel chip needing upgrading, which I dont think is correct, but went to the Compaq website and downloaded the attached file. I dont know if this is the right one but the printer still wont work anyway. I noticed after installing it I now have a "stand by" option in the shutdown menu that I didn't have before

They also said about altering my BIOS setting but I am not sure what do do.

I am borrowing a printer tonight to try and see if that will work.

My current printer worked fine, and stopped for no apparent reason, that is what baffles me.

Thanks for your time guys, I look forward to any advice,

Gus.

12. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

Hi guys nice to have you back,
    I have tried a few things with my printer since we last spoke.
    I connected it to the parralell port that runs my scanner, altered the settings when installing the driver, ie choosing the new port, but still no joy.
    Then I took it to a friends house and tried his pc, but using the USB or the parralell ports was no good, as neither identified the new hardware at all and when I installed the driver, there was the usual "printer is offline" message.

Lexmark kept going on about the intel chip needing upgrading, which I dont think is correct as the printer stopped working for no reason. They also go on about my BIOS settings but I am not quite sure what to do.

I look forward to any advice guys.
    cheers,
    Gus.

13. crabman

crabman Guest

I USED TO GET 3 OR 4 CALLS A NIGHT FOR THIS GO INTO YOUR DEVICE MANAGER REMOVE THE USB ROOT HUB AND THE COMPOSITE DEVICE AND CLICK REFRESH THE GO INTO YOUR PRINTER PROPERTYS AND YOULL SEE THAT YOU NOW HAVE ANOTHER SELECTION OF PORTS IT WILL BE USB SELECT IT AND LEAVE THE PRINTER HOOKED UP WHILE DOING THIS TRUST ME IT WILL FIX IT EVERYTIME

14. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

Hi Crabman,
    I have tried my printer on a few machines and every one of them would not recognise the new hardware.
    I then borrowed an Epson printer off a friend, and as soon as I pluged it in, the computer recognised it and away to go.
    I think the printer is nackered, it is only about 13 months old, so I am going to confront Lexmark about it.
    Personally I wont buy Lexmark again as their Tech suport section have spent the last 3 weeks totally ignoring what I have told them, and insisting my pc was at fault. Which it wasn't. They were even replying to my E.Mails and deleting the section where I queried the guarantee.
    Anyway, thanks to all for the advice, I really appreciate it.
    Gus.

15. Davey7549

Davey7549

GUSMAN
    Sorry to hear the printer died. At least you can move on now and get a replacement. There are many good low cost printers that can be reliable. My family have three Canon BJ2100 that have worked flawlessly for years now. Their initial cost makes them disposable if they bite the dust and the cartriges are not that bad in cost either. Just a consideration since I know there are others. I will request this thread to be marked resolved.
    Dave

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice