1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Problems adding 2nd hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MikeMike, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MikeMike

MikeMike Thread Starter

Just added a new Western Digital 80GB to my existing 30GB computer.P3,866,Win98se.Set the new drive as slave and old drive as master.When i reboot with the western digital floppy,I click on the option to install drive and an error comes up that says"An NTFS partition has been detected that has an invalid signature.This usually indicates an unformatted partition.All NTFS partitions must be properly formatted in order to proceed. Use NT disk administrator."Now what??
    Mike

2. brianF

brianF

Are you planning on coping your old drive to the new drive????? Or are you going to leave both in the machine.

Just to check I would disconnect the primary drive leaving only the new drive in. Boot with a win98 startup disk.
    ONce at the command prompt type fdisk, choose option 4, what does it say about the new drive????

3. MikeMike

MikeMike Thread Starter

Hi, Im going to leave both drives in and basically use the new drive for storage.When i got the computer i never got the win98 disc ,the retailer said it was on my harddrive already. so i dont think i can do that.

4. brianF

brianF

sure you can boot up with the new drive, then go to start/settings/control panel/add remove programs/startup disk, put a blank floppy in the drive and hit create, it will make a bootable floppy.

Also while in windows check out your drive for the win98 cab files, generally under options

5. MikeMike

MikeMike Thread Starter

ok i made the bootup floppy.So your saying to disconnaect the master drive(old drive)andreboot with the floppy disc with the slave drive yes?The cab files have:MSnet32dll,Riched20dll,Riched32dll,Usp10dll,Vip386,Vserver.vxd.

6. brianF

brianF

Next time you boot into windows go to start/run/type *.cab and press search. You should see a group of cab files numbered 1 through something.

Ya, disconnect the primary just to be safe. Make sure you see the computer recognize the drive on post, if not, enter bios and make sure the ide configuration page is set correctly for whatever ide channel you installed the drive to. Auto detect or manually detect if necessary.

7. MikeMike

MikeMike Thread Starter

I think i got it working.I ran fdisc from the start/run menu and followed instructions from western digital site.Then I formattted it and it now shows up like my other drive.Thanks for your input .The instructions that came with the drive had 5 steps.Basically set jumper config,install drive,run CMOS program to check for drive ,then use disc that came with drive and follow instructions.Sounded easy enough but I guess all systems are different.Thanks Mike.

8. brianF

brianF

Glad you got it working.

Don't feel bad, I can remember calling western digitial one time, first drive I ever installed, duh, can we say format the drive :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice