1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Problems with my nvidia geforce4 mx440 in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Games' started by Franckx, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Franckx

Franckx Thread Starter

I'm Having a problem with my Videocard, it works great playing Soldier of Fortune2 and Jedi Knight2 under Windows XP Pro, but i tried to play Max Payne and i receive an error message saying that i needed a directx 8 compatible card to play the game, in the nvidia's page, it says the the card is directx 8 compatible.

Anyone having a problem like this?

Any solution? :confused:

2. RT

RT

HI Franckx

Welcome to TSG!

I found this info on the Max Payne support page:

Common Graphics Card Problems

If you get an error message saying "Max Payne requires a DirectX 8 compatible graphics card",
    but you have a supported 3D accelerator, latest drivers and DirectX 8 installed, check that your Direct3D works in other games,
    or by using "DXDiag" application that comes with your system (Run->dxdiag; select Display tab, click on "Test Direct3D". You should get a "Direct3D test results: All tests were successful." message).
    If Direct3D does not work, there is something wrong in your system configuration. We recommend you reinstall latest DirectX and graphics card drivers and try again. If you still can't start Max Payne, make sure your desktop is in 16-bit color mode.

http://www.3drealms.com/max/support/index.html

Unfortunately, your video card is not listed as being supported, but it should work, since yours is newer than the ones they list.

So I would go ahead with what they suggest and update the drivers for the card, and you might want to go ahead and get DirectX 9 while you're at it.

(I'm assuming your system meets the games specs to play?)

3. Franckx

Franckx Thread Starter

Hi, i installed the newest drivers from nvidia, and directx9, then i received the same error, so i went to directx support and i found the solution to my problem, and if there is anybody out there with the same problem here is the link to the answer:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812491

:D Thankx!

4. RT

RT

Good job, Franckx ! Glad you got it fixed.

Thanks for posting back.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!