Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[Resolved] procedure entry point not found

68K views 23 replies 4 participants last post by  Mosaic1 
#1 ·
i have windows xp home and when trying to open compatabilty wizard and some other wizards i get the following=the procedure entry point DoOpenPipeStream could not be located in the dynamiclink library.ScrRun.dll-any help would be great and thank you!

#2 ·
1) Open My Computer, select Drive C, Windows, and System32 folders. Find ScrRun.dll. If you can't find it on the first time, try showing hidden files. Select Tools > Folder Options > [View] > (o) Show Hidden Files and Folders from the My Computer icon.
1b) If you still can't find it then do this: Click Start > Run... > type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes) and hit [ENTER]. When prompted, insert your Windows XP Home Installation disc (even if Windows File Protection asks for a Windows Whistler Professional disc) to restore the file.
2) Use the REGSVR32 program to re-register the DLL file:
Click Start > Run... > type "regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\scrrun.dll" (without the quotes) and hit [ENTER]. You will get a popup indicating that the file was registered.
You may need to restart your computer to finish this procedure.

#3 ·
thank you for your reply-the windowsxp came with my computer-sony-and i have 3 discs called system recovery cd,s.can i use these? and now the question is which 1.i have restored the system 2 times with these but still have the same problem.havent trid to use them just to restore this-wounder if its psoable?and thanks again

#5 ·
5.60.6626 is the version scrrun.dll you should have. Did you do the find files on it? See how many you have & where they are located. Next right click on each one and get its version number.

There is a registry tweak to prevent the use of a dll unless it is located in system32. If you have multiple versions of the file, it is possible that the wrong one is being loaded for some reason probably by another program. I am not sure if you have a program using and older version which is already in memory or what. But you might try this.

Go to start>Run and type regedit. Press enter.

Navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\KnownDLLs
Right click on KnownDlls and choose New>String Value

Name the string Value scrrun

Double click on this new string value and modify the value data to read:

scrrun.dll

Reboot. See if it helps.

#6 ·
found 2-scrrun.dll--1 in c:\windows\system32 and the other in c:\windows\windows update setup files\scripten.cab-tried the hkey-new string and it didnt work could enter the scrrun.dll but it didnt help.the version i have of the scrrun.dll is--5.1.0.5010-in system32-the other scrrun does not have a version-i thank you for trying to help

#9 ·
did the reinstall of ie6 and ie6sp1-didnt work-still have scrrun.dll 5.1.0.5010--the windows xp i have came with the new computer already installed-still get the same messagethe procedure entry point DoOpenPipeStream could not be located in the dll scrrun.dll-what is doopenpipestream could that be the problem or the procedure point-what ever that is-realy want to thank you for trying to help

#10 ·
All dlls are files which contain code. Programs tap into that code. You have an older version of scrrun.dll on your hard drive and it doesn't contain the code needed to run certain programs. When those programs call the code from that file, the code is not found. Therefore, you get an error. If you had the correct file version on the hard drive everything would work perfectly.

In other systems it is easy to replace a system file. Not in XP. Scrrun.dll is a protected system file. Give me a few minutes to get directions on replacing it. I honestly do not understand why you have the wrong version. XP comes with IE6 integrated into the Operating System and the file version should be correct. Especially since you said you reinstalled. I'll be back.

#11 ·
If you have installed IE 6.1, you now should have the repair option. Go to Control Panel> Add orRemove Programs. Click AddRemove and find the IE entry on the Currently installed programs list. Hightlight it. Click Remove. A new page should appear. Choose Repair. It should tell you that you have the wrong version of scrrun.dll and IE cannot be repaired.

Start the repair option again, This time do not choose repair, choose Add Component. Choose to add the Browser. See if that reinstalls IE with the correct file version.

If this is not possible, we may have to turn off System File protection and have you replace the file.

First, you will need to get the correct file version. If you will send me a private message with your email, I will send it to you.

There is a hack to turn off system file protection. But it involves opening up files in a hex editor and making some changes. And editing the registry. Have a look. It may sound intimidating. You will need a hex editing program. You'll have to find one and download it if you want to try this.

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/790

I just do not understand why you are having a problem getting the correct file version. It should have come with your Operating system. If nothing else, you can email the Computer Manufacturer and ask them for help.

I would have you install Recovery Console and try replacing the file from there. But I am not sure whether or not you can install Recovery Console using your Recovery Disks. That is another thing to ask the computer Manufacturer about.

Maybe someone else has done this and will be able to give you another idea on how do do this. Try the IE repair etc first and let's see how it goes.

#13 ·
I have had a Private Message and jmgroves is going to try the Winguides method, I think. Here's my answer regarding the next step. To tell the truth, I am not sure what's going on. He shoujld have the correct file version and why an IE6 update and reinstalls didn't is a mystery.

I am not sure this is going to work. I think we should contimue posting on the Forum. Everybody will have a chance to jump in and help. I am also working on another angle but am not sure I can get it to work. Let me post this and the Recovery Console information.

If you have a hex editor and the correct file version from the site Rog posted, then follow the Winguides directions to disable File Protection. Then boot to Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Do that by tapping F8 to bring up the boot menu if you do not and choose that option from the menu. Put the floppy to which you have copied scrrun.dll in the drive Then at the prompt :

Copy A:\scrrun.dll C:\windows\system32
Press enter

Here's the command with the spaces

copy space A:\scrrun.dll space C:\windows\system32

Restart into Windows.

See if the correct version is there and whether you have use of what you need. Reenable File Protection.
Here's a link with information on Recovery Console. Briefly, in Win9x there was DOS. If Windows and Safe Mode were not acessible, booting to the command prompt gaqve you the option of trying to use the command line to copy files and possibly do some repairs. You can still access a prompt, but if you cannot boot even to Safe Mode, you cannot access a prompt. That's where Recovery Console comes in. It is the old Dos Prompt with a twist. You must sign in with the Administrator password and there are limits to access. It can be configured to remove those limits, but that's later.

Here's a link with the information normally needed to access and use Recovery Console. Although with Recovery Disks I am not sure whether or not this applies.
http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

And this one to add more capabilities to Recovery Console:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310497

#14 ·
I had another Pm. The scrrun.dll has been downloaded. He asked about following the directions to install it.

This is Windows XP and you can try. But That file is protected and XP has very specific rules about replacing protected files. I doubt you are going to be able to replace the current file with this one.

You can try. But that is why I had you look at the windguides Tweak. To replace a protected system file, you have to jump through hoops.

#15 ·
A previous poster here managed to get XP's kernel32.dll replaced evidently by just renaming it and running sfc /scannow. It's not something I would have suggested, but evidently it worked. The file was replaced from c:\windows\system32\dllcache. This is the first place XP is supposed to look when restoring a missing or altered protected file. I looked in that folder on my system and there is only one file there, so I don't know what's up with mine (I do have a full set of system32 files in c:\I386 though). Evidently jmgroves doesn't have scrrun.dll there, or it would have shown up in his file search.

If the file was renamed though, and sfc /scannow run, and no default restore from location has it, he should be prompted for a disk or a restore from location.

#17 ·
I played with this. I would say to just put the new version of the file in System32\dllcache

Next go to system32 and rename scrrun.dll

It should then be replaced by the copy in the dllcache.

However, since you do have a recovery disk, more than likely you too have the i386 folder on your hard drive. And that's why no dllcache.

This worked for me.

Rog,
I have been looking at a few sites and have seen that this does work. Great find on your part! The dllcache size is probably set in the registry to because the i386 is present. Having a dllcache would be a waste of space, I would think. He may need to temporarily rename i386 if this doesn't work. What do you think?

#18 ·
i dont have scf/scannoe-------and i have installed the new scrrun.dll in the dllcache---have tried to rename the old scrrun and the system will not alowe me to delete it-i have tried to install the new scrrun into the system32 and asks for a password--have no idea what password-tried my system addministrator password but that isnt it--------

#19 ·
Are you sure you ran the command correctly? It is

sfc /scannow

there should be a space after sfc

Do you receive any error message when entering that from start>run or a command prompt?

edit

For what it's worth here is how my own verification test went.

>> First I clicked Start>Run>Search > All Files... and entered scrrun.dll

3 were found, 1 in c:\I386, 1 in c:\windows\system32, and 1 in the recycle bin that I had downloaded earlier.

>> I Right Clicked on the one in system32 and selected "rename". Windows gave me its usual caveat about renaming files, but let me rename it scrrun.old with out further ado.

>> I clicked Start>Run and entered: sfc /scannow and sat back for about 10 minutes while Windows System File Protection did its thing. I was never prompted for anything. When it completed, it closed out without a peep.

>> Went back to Search, and the new scrrun.dll was back in system32 as it should.

#20 ·
have the scrrun.dll new version now installed in the system32 and dllcache-thanks to you all-but some of the programs cant find it or are not connected to it as in the compatibilty wizard now comes up but the back-next-cancel tabs are missing--bet your getting tired of me-but you dont know how much i appreciate your help

#21 ·
Not at all. Let's try registering it again to see if that helps.

Go to Start>Run copy and paste this command in and then press enter:

regsvr32 scrrun.dll

See if things are working now.

EDIT: I hope this solves it. But if not it is possible that you are missing other files or have the wrong versions.

#22 ·
I want to thank each and everyone of you that helped me solve my problem and yes its solved-i now can run programs that i havent been able to for a year-THANK YOU SO MUCH what a great site and bunch of people-wish there was a way to repay all of you.need some mortgage advice let me know 32 years of experience maybe i can give you some free advice-

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.