1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}question character map

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by calibretto, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. calibretto

calibretto Thread Starter

ok... you make think i'm dumb for even asking this, but i have a question. i chat every day with msn messenger. as you know you can change your name to whatever you like. a friend of mine changed her name on there to a bunch of symbols using character map. i cannot find the character map. i know it's supposed to be in system tools. but it's not there. any of you know how to get it to show up there? i remember i did that w/ the clipboard viewer, but i don't remember how i did it. it was a tip on techtv's show, the screensavers or something. anyway... i'm running windows98 and if anyone can help me that would be great. also... i tried this at school, since the map is right where it's supposed to be under system tools. and i changed my name and whatnot, and it shows up on my message window as all the symbols but it doesn't show up to anyone else. can you tell me why? the only explanation i can give is the messenger at school is the version that came out just before the one that's out now. but that doesn't explain much to me because if it had to do w/ that then why would my friend's name show up as all the symbols? hopefully i haven't confused you and you can help me. thanks.

calibretto

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi calibretto,
    There are no dumb questions. Go to start, control panel, add/remove programs, click on windows setup tab, scroll down to system tools, highlight it, click on details, see if character map is checked, if not check it, hit ok then hit apply and ok it may ask you to reboot. see if that gets it back. If not it may ask for the win98 CD.

3. calibretto

calibretto Thread Starter

wow. thanks a lot. you rock. i wouldn't have said it was a stupid question except for the fact that i'm a computer science major and should know something like that. :D but that helped, so thanks a lot. it's just too bad that windows 98's character map sucks compared to 2000.

calibretto

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi calibretto,
    Glad I could help. We all have glitches once in a while. With everything!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice