{RESOLVED}RDRAM and P4 question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Pogo

I just finished building a new system with:
P4 478 1.7 CPU
Abit TH7 II motherboard
1 stick of Samsung RDRAM 256/16
1 stick of Samsung RDRAM 256/8

Needless to say it did not boot when I powered up, when I called Abit tech support and told them post code 13 was not in the manual he said "13 is between 12 and 14, we think it could be your cpu, your motherboard or your memory".....gee thanks.
I have never built a system w/ RDRAM and to be honest I know nothing about it. Some have told me a stick of 256/8 will work next to a stick of 256/16, others have said it would not, and I have yet to actually speak to someone who has built a P4 to verify this. The memory is installed side by side in: rimm a1/rimm b1 with the c-rimms in the rimm a2/rimm b2 slots. Does anyone happen to see a stupid mistake I have made in this setup? I should also mention the continuous "beep-beep" from the board, this is a memory issue correct?
Thanks for any help.

Here is how it should be

Channel A
Rimm1-256
rimm2-crimm

Channel B
rimm1-256
rimm2-crimm

your motherboard manual says to do it like this though which is very very odd.

Channel A
rimm1-256
rimm2-256

Channel B
rimm1-crimm
rimm2-crimm

If one of these don't work you can try switching the crimms to where the rimms are and vice versa, for the two config.s

On an asus p4 motherboard, my config is right

each channel has to have equal amount of memory and same combo of modules.

It looks like the manual is wrong unless abit did things different.

plus you should be ok with having to differnet density rimms. If not then get 2 of the same.

Pogo

I fixed it, turns out it was the ram setup. On what I run it does make a difference if you have 256/8 next to a 256/16.
The Abit sets up in side by side pairs unlike the Asus (just in case anyone reading this gets in the same jam I did). Thanks for your reply, appreciated the help.

Thats weird that it works side by side, but hey who cares, you got it working and that is all that matters. I will remember this for future reference.

Congrats.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online