[Resolved] Recycle Bin

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

creztip

Hi Guys:I am working towards a degree in Stupidity,somehow I deleted my total Desk Top,& then emptied the RB,several minutes later discovered my error,tried to restore,it shows as still in the RB but will not restore,it has not effected the use of my computer,but has doubled my used space & is close to total,would appreciate any help that can be had,also a cone hat if available,already have a corner to stand in.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome....not sure how you accomplished that.....since you don't say what Operating System you are running, I'm going to assume it may be 98.......restart the computer, tap the F 8 key, choose command prompt only, once there, type:

scanreg /restore
and press enter

choose a date prior to your housekeeping......but not too far back.

creztip

Hi:Thanks for the info,yes I am running 98 2nd.ed.,tried your suggestion,but when I press F-8 nothing happens,I counted on my fingers so I know its the correct one.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ok, then let's do it the hard way ;)

Start button, run, then type msconfig and hit ok.......go to the advanced button and place a check mark in the box for the startup menu.....then restart....you'll get a menu to choose from, choose command prompt.....

creztip

Good morning Acacandy:Still no luck,from Run I typed in msconfig & clicked O.K.,but this brought up the System Config.box,& could find no Advanced button,still probably my ineptitude.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
It's not an individual tab....it's above the accept/cancel buttons....On the first tab (General).

creztip

Hi again Acacandy:Were inches away from pay dirt,now once I've chosen Command Prompt,how do I proceed?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
At the C: prompt, type:

scanreg /restore
and press enter.....

you should be presented with a few dates to choose from....don't go too far back....select one before the problem began.

creztip

Hi again Acacandy:Got through it all finally,but it didn't solve the problem,but at least I did pick up additional knowledge,think I'll have a beer.

Methinks you should try and re-install Windows. I would buy another thirty cans mate. You'll need 'em

creztip

Hi once more:I thought it might come to that,I do have the windows disc,also I did a back up ,but how do in deactivate winmdows?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Quite frankly, I don't think an over-install is going to solve your problem. And since you stated you are low on disk space anyway, you may not have enough free space to start the re-install.

I think I would sit tight until someone else responds....perhaps Tony Klein or Rollin' Rog........I would suggest just emptying the recycle bin, but I would want someone else's opinion first.

creztip

I really appreciate all your help & I'll just wait for a while & hope someone can come up with an answer.Thanks again,I'll also hold off ond the beer.

make sure you put a space after scanreg.
the system needs that space as a separator
between the instruction and the switch function.

John

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Actually, john, just as an FYI....and I tried it earlier to confirm.....the space is really not needed.......I always type it with the space when I post too......but, it does work the other way ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts