1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Removing My Network Places

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Geezer, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Geezer

Geezer Thread Starter

I've searched thru the forums but cannot find an answer.

I recently had to re-install Windows ME after a crash. After the re-installation there is an icon on the desktop titled "My Network Places". This icon was not there in the original installation and I cannot get rid of it.

Question, how do I get rid of this icon.

From the Control Panel I clicked on "Networking" but found no solution. However, I noticed in the original install under "Client for Microsoft Networks" an option was something like "Family Network Login" or something sililar. No such thingy exists in this re-install.

Any help much appreciated,

Geezer

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Geezer
    If you have installed dial-up networking, Windows thinks that you need the Network Neighborhood icon (called My Network Places in Windows Me) on your desktop. If you don't have a network, it's of no use. Unfortunately, dragging it into the recycle bin doesn't work. Right click delete doesn't work and you will not find any easy do not show it switch.
    The reason for this is to protect it from accidental deletion.

There are two ways you can remove it from you desktop if you are sure you are not using it!

1) Easiest way is download Tweakui Here and set it up according to the instructions. Once setup double click tweakui and go to the desktop tab and uncheck the box for network. Click apply click ok and close tweakui. Restart system to make sure setteng is correct.

See note below for backing up registry before doing work!
    2)Registry addition or change. You can add the value manually that tweakui will add.
    Go to start\run and type in regedit, hit enter. In the left pane navigate to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Software
    Microsoft
    Windows
    CurrentVersion
    Policies
    Explorer

Click on the explorer folder in left pane and look in right pane for a DWord of "NoNetHood"

If "NoNetHood" is not there then you will have to add it. Go to edit above and click new, click dword, Type in "NoNetNood" with a value of 1 and click OK. Exit registry through file up top. Restart system.
    If "NoNetHood" is already there then click on it and click edit above and click modify. Change value to 1 which means no.
    Click OK and exit through file menu out of registry.
    Restart system.

The network neighborhood Icon should be gone.

Backup Registry
    Go to start\run type in regedit, when menu appears click registry tab up top and click export. Neme file 911backup, Select destination to your desktop and make sure the all button is selected at bottom. Click ok.
    This will place a copy of your registry on you desktop in case something goes really wrong. If you need to use that copy double click on it and say ok to merge. Once done restart system.

Note if all is ok or you used the backup successfully then it can be deleted from desktop.

Hope that help you problem, keep us posted as to your success.
    Dave

3. Geezer

Geezer Thread Starter

:p

Much much thanks Dave ...... Now that I remember (mind slips at 72) I had TweakUi installed before re-installing WindowsME.

Thanks again,

Geezer:p

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Geezer
    Glad to help! Also glad you got it solved.
    Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice