1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Resolution problem needs resolution.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fairbairn, Mar 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fairbairn

Fairbairn Thread Starter

OS is WIN98. I cannot change the color resolution or screen area size on my computer. When I do I get the message:

"The display control panel is unable to change the display settings. Please check your display hardware in device manager."

Currently it is in 256 colors and screen area is 640x480. Display adapter is STB Velocity 128. Monitor is Gateway EV700. Downloaded most recent drivers from Windows Update today but I still get the message.

Please help me. I'll be up all night waiting. Thanks.

2. brianF

brianF

Try this, change the display adapter to std vga, reboot, once in windows do the following

Make sure whenever you do a reinstall of the display drivers again, you also go into the registry
    and delete all the 0000, 0001, 0002, etc. sub-directories under the Display folder:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Display

These sometime retain all the messed up settings from before and doing a deinstall doesn't always
    get rid of them.

After removing the above from registry, reinstall your video drivers.

3. Fairbairn

Fairbairn Thread Starter

No help my friend. Did all you said. Still gives me the same error. No change. I did notice that under HKLM>System>Control>Services>Monitor I have the same 0000, 0001, etc keys. May not have anything to do with it at all. Thanks for your help though.

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

Your computer forgot what kind of monitor you have.

Boot into SAFE mode.

Go to device manager (RIght click on MY COMPUTER / Properties)

Remove ALL monitors that are listed.

------------------

Reboot. If it doesn't detect your monitor.

Go to Display properties / Settings / Advance / Monitors = choose the nearest Gateway monitor you have or Mag Inovision - select DX17...

Use the settings, apply and then you should be able to adjsut your settings - I've just walked this with a friend.

The STB Velocity is kinda old - If I remember right, its a TNT1 card. You should try the DETONATOR drivers from NVIDIA.

www.nvidia.com

then also reinstall DirectX 8.1

5. Fairbairn

Fairbairn Thread Starter

Wow!!! Can I be like you when I grow up??? You were right. That fixed my bug. Thank you.

D :D :D :D :D :D

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

NO, you cannot not - I've got a brain the size of a planet... and the depression that goes with it. :p

I'm working on an FAQ for nvidia cards, its trouble shooting area is not complete. But you may wanna check it out when you upgrade in the future. www.geocities.com/nfaq

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/70971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice