1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Restart in Ms-dos mode.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jhallidayjh, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jhallidayjh

jhallidayjh Thread Starter

When I try to "Restart in Ms-dos mode" I get a black screen with a flashing cursor. Any suggestions how I can get into C:>
    Jim, Cardiff.

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    The dosstart.bat file, which isn't truly need to simply restart in MSDOS Mode, is most likely trying to load device drivers and causing the hang. Try this ...

Start>Find>Files, key in dosstart.bat and press enter. Once it's found, right click on it and rename it dosstart.old

Then you'll be warned about renaming it but just click on "Yes" and rename it anyway.

Now try restarting in DOS Mode. Let us know what happens.

BTW, when your done with MSDOS Mode, at the MSDOS prompt, enter Exit and press enter to restart Windows.

3. jhallidayjh

jhallidayjh Thread Starter

Many thanks Bryan, it worked like a charm. Have a nice Christmas.
    Jim Halliday,
    Cardiff.

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Your welcome .......

5. SheritaC2

SheritaC2

Hi

I went and renamed my file to dosstart.old and I'm still having

the black screen with the flashing cursor.

6. killorb

killorb

I have a gateway computer that only boots into the dos mode. I have typed exit to go back to windows but the computer re-boots and goes back into dos. I can go into safe mode and I have done the step by step config which gets me back into windows but when I restart it takes me back into dos mode.

7. Topazz

Topazz

Welcome to TSG killorb,

I noticed that this thread has been marked by a moderator as 'Resolved' so it would help you a lot if you posted your question again as a brand new thread. You are more likely to get help that way.

Good luck!

8. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Yea I'm going to close this so no more get added. Sherita and Kill, please be sure to post your own individual New topics. We can surely help you.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59542

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice