{RESOLVED}Screen Resolution

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

clivebrazil

I have read all the messages on this subject and none have helped me sort out my problem. My screen resolution has been reduced to 640 * 480 permanently and I dont know why. It is usually higher. The display adapter is the standard PCI graphics adapter which I have removed but the computer just reinstalls it. I could try looking inside the computer but I wouldnt know what I would be looking for and I dont have any video drivers on cd to try reinstalling. Please Help.

First determine if your machine has an addin card for video or if it's an onboard chip

Look at the back of the machine, where your monitor cable connects. Does it connect to a card that is mounted in one of the pci addin slots. You should have a group of four or five of them, if there not used they will just have a metal cover plate on them.
Or is your monitor connecting to a connector that appears to be built into the case, higher up, above the pci slots.

If it's an add in card, you should shut the machine down, remove the cover, and visually inspect the card for the makers name and model number, it should be printed on it somewhere.

If it's an onboard type chip, what is the make and model number of your computer, that should also be listed on the outside somewhere.

clivebrazil

I have checked the back of my computer and the moniter cable is connected higher up and seems to be some sort of onboard type chip. As for the make and model number, there are no markings on the outside. My computer was put together in a small computer shop three years ago it didnt come as a package. It has an AuthenticAMD AMD-K6 3D processor windows 98 2nd edition. I would be very grateful for any further help. Thanks.

clivebrazil

System Mainboard
MP Support - No
Model - SiS530-6801

Extended mainboard Data
Manufacturer-Jetway
Model - V.530BF/530BN D06 09-18-1999
Serial Number - 09/18/1999-SiS530-6801-2A5IMJ1BC-00
Chipset - SiS 530 Chipset

Hope this information helps you solve my problem!

Should be your video drivers here
http://www.sis.com/support/driver/530.htm

You will need to download all the files for the os you are using. Make a folder and put them all in it. The files are compressed so you will need to decompress them in the folder. There should be an install.txt file to guide you with installing them.

clivebrazil

That last message enabled me to get the driver I needed. I had a bit of fiddeling about to after that but I got it work and now my computer is back to normal, and I know a bit more about it. Thank you very much for your help, I had nowhere else to turn to.

Clive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online