1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Resolved} - Shared printer not visible

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mike Beale, Feb 2, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mike Beale

Mike Beale Thread Starter

I have a Windows NT4/SP5 server with 7 shared printers setup for use with Intel NetPort print servers. One of the printers is not visible across the network (TCP/IP) on either Win NT or 95 machines.

The other 6 printers a fine and can be seen in Network Neighborhood etc.

I've checked the permissions on the share & have even set it so "Everyone" should be able to see it, removed the printer & reinstalled & done the usual reboots, but no luck.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

2. Greg Freeman

Greg Freeman

Are the printers identical (ie. is this a printer pool?) If not, is this printer compatible with the server? You might want to check the websites for both the problem printer, as well as the print server's site as this may be a driver incompatiblity issue.
    Does the print server have a test button? If so, does it print out to the problem printer? I fthe test button is there but no print out, check the compatibility issue, if it is suppose to be compatible and you didn't get a test page from the test from the print server, reinstall. If the test went through then it points more to the configuration of the computer(s) for this printer. Check port setting, change EMF, to RAW, if applicable. Also try to print directly to the printer, ie. no spooling. Let me know what you get.

3. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Also, are the clint PCs all Win95 or Win98 machines? If so, make sure that there are no Spaces or "$" signs in the share name, as these can not be seen by Win9x machines.

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

4. Mike Beale

Hi.

There are different printers on this server, but its a HP Laserjet 5SI I am having the trouble with, but is another 5SI on this server with no problems at all.

The NetPort printer server does a test print OK both from the button on the unit and the NetPort Manager software. I have compared the settings for this 5SI with the other and they are identical (apart from the names!)

The clients are mainly Win95 with a couple of Win NT4. The share name on the printer is ELECTION ,pretty standard really.

I have also been to the HP & Intel web sites & downloaded & installed the latest drivers for the printer & NetPort server.

Cheers
    Mike

5. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Can this printer be seen by ANY machine? Or is it invisible to ALL machines?

Perhaps it is a probelm with the IP address, subnet mask or default gateway on the Intel NetPort...

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

6. Mike Beale

Reuel, thanks for the tips.

I cannot see the printer from any PC 95 or NT, either logged on as a standard user, or myself (with Admin rights).

I've checked the IP addrs of all the Intel NetPorts & printer shares, and they are all OK. Just to make sure I redid them on the troublesome printer.

I've checked a couple of more things out. When logged onto the NT server controlling all this, I can print to the printer no problem. Also, the share connot be seen from the server itself via Network Neighborhood.

7. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

OK, obvious question... is the Printer shared?

Right click on the printer's print queue and make sure it is shared correctly.

Cheers

8. Mike Beale

HI.

Yep, it's shared OK. When you go to Control Panel/Printers it's even got the little hand on it.

(It's often the simple things you miss!)

I've tried removing the share and re-sharing it, no luck yet.

Cheers

9. Mike Beale

Well, I've just managed to fix it, but not sure why it's working now.

I've just added another shared printer (Epson Stylus!) via a separate NetPort, and when this new one was shared, the HP 5Si suddenly became visible across the network.

Strange???

Anyway, thanks guys for you help & info.

Cheers
    Mike

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/28324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice