1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}short bitmap explanation needed...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by billE, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billE

billE Thread Starter

i'm using x-setup pro to customize my ie and it appears i will finally be able to kill off some of the last hijax aol left embedded in it. i need some help on understanding the directions. here is the aforementioned suspect--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (with my remarks thusly added)
    Some vendors use customized versions of Internet Explorer where the "e" logo in the upper right corner has been changed.

To create your own logo, create two bitmaps: one with 38x38 pixels (height/width) and another with 22 pixels.

(ok here is my first instance of foggy vision. i understand the 38x38 pixels, i trimmed a pic down as such when i stole/made my custom "bucky katt" avatar. i can only guess that on the second they mean 22x22? thats getting pretty small. the spinning globe is a bit smaller than the e it covers when explorer is doing something...)
    (oh, and here is where they absolutely lose me...)

Then draw the different stages of the animation inside the bitmaps (from top to bottom), where the first pictures will be displayed if Internet Explorer does nothing.

(for one thing, i was under the impression that gifs were sometimes animated, not bmps. i can get over my seeming limitations and could accept that bmps are "layered?" and as the layers are displayed the "animation" developes. i've gone as far to this end as hunting up bmp tutorials and seeing them in a language that looks akin to the pascal/fortrans that i'd learned 20 yrs ago BGII "before gore invented the internet" (*note inside note: from these i learned bmps were drawn left to right, bottom to top?). so i guess i need someone to tell (promise?) me here that i should install paintshop and it would be done for me, or take a moment out of their time and divulge unto me the secret of bmp creationism and act as my monolith and bestow me with the gift of opposable thumbs/use of tools)

If you are finished with it, enter the name for the 38 pixel-picture in "Big Picture" and the one with 22 pixels in "Small Picture".
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

my abilities to work with images may be limited as i have a couple of photo progs with only marginal effects/abilities such as trim, rotate, and such. i have a pc magazine disc with a version of paintshop on it. but i'm afeared that as all the other progs on the disc i've tried were too much for my system; it to could be another install/lockup/uninstall. there is a third option available to me in case i should just "settle" - make a 38 for idle explorer and a 22 for active explorer and be happy to be rid of another aspect of aol. the "non-moving" theoretically might even make me quicker? as i know multiple animated gifs onscreen slow me down. hmmmmmmm... so feel free to comment and lmk your thoughts on the matter. thanks =o) heh oh yeah theres a button for smiles :D :) ;)
    **oh yeah... PS-if all this is painful to muck through and it would be easier for me to leave the images i'd want someone to just do it for me, lmk that too hehehe i believe i'm able to link them here, just please no one leave me any viruses :p lol**

2. plejon

plejon

Read this article, it solves most of your problems I think:
    http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/83/

1) It explains how to erase custom logo's and reset the original MS logo's.

2) The pictures are indeed 38X38 and 22X22.

3) To create the animation, you don't use layers in a BMP (this is not possible as far as I know), but make a long rectangular BMP similar to a strip of film. E.g. if you want 5 animations, create a BMP which is 38 pixels wide, but 5X38=190 pixels high.

4) Can't you use Microsoft Paint to create the BMP (should be under program files / accessories in all windows versions). It's basic, but might do the trick.

3. billE

billE Thread Starter

wow! thanks alot! you have been the proverbial "monolith". i see it clearly now. the "fog" is lifted. again my thanks =o)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice