1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Small annoying problems{new.net, savenow, etc}

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by MrKowz, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrKowz

MrKowz Thread Starter

Hey there! It's me again! I got a couple of small problems (nothing that HAS to be fixed, just annoying problems. :D ) One such problem is that something will conflict with AOL and the 'hourglass' will keep spinning, and can't move the mouse. I have to ctrl+alt+del to close the first program on the list (almost a random loaded program). that will close, and the AOL window will to. The connection remains, but there are only 2 ways I can get the AOL window back up, and that is to either ctrl+alt+del out of 'waol' or to open an AOL file. Another thing is that my computer will all of a sudden just SLOW down dramatically, and not pick back up. Not many programs/windows are usually open at those times either. =) Again, nothing much, just annoying little things. If ya have any suggestions lemme know! And thanks again for helping me act as Dr. Frankenstein and reviving my comp!

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

My advice is go to housecalls & run the free online virus scanner.
    Click here to do so!

for a free virus scanner you can add to your system... get AVG. Click here to download AVG

then there is spyware ... go get Ad-Aware
    Click here to download it

also you may have too many items in your startup.. which will eat up your resources.

this should keep you in pretty good shape

Savvy :)

3. MrKowz

MrKowz Thread Starter

I have a virus scanner. I am not THAT newbieish. =)

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

ok... thats great... I didn't look at your #of post ...sorry

5. MrKowz

MrKowz Thread Starter

Sorry if I offended ya there. Didn't mean to. Just lettin ya know that I already have a virus scanner. Mcafee. Scan every other day (it takes about 30 min to scan all my drives. :) )

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Do a ctrl-alt-del and list what is in the "close programs" window besides Explorer, Systray, rnnaapp (the dialup adapter) and any open browser Windows.

How recently have you updated McAfee?

I would definitely commend Ad-Aware to you, it is as vital as any Antivirus program.

7. MrKowz

MrKowz Thread Starter

Go
    Savenow
    Realplay
    Sidewinder gdp
    Findfast
    Macname
    lgevntrt
    Osa
    Rundll32
    Rundll
    Point32
    3dfxman
    Mswheel
    Ptsnoop
    Vshwin32
    Winampa
    Aoltray
    Qttask

8. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

no problem here.. I wasn't offended at all. I was also trying to find the cause in a search so wasn't looking very well here.

Ad-Aware for spyware is need .

You have PTsnoop listed.. do you know what that is ?

9. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Did a search for ptsnoop and found this post on another message board.
    "ptsnoop.exe is a trojan that is transferred by openning an up an email. ptsnoop is hidden and will automatically execute in hidden mode. it allows the users of ptsnoop to have real time internet access to your computer and control it too while you are dialed into your ISP (internet service providor). these types of programs are called "worms". it hides itself on your hard drive after executing and has the ability to transfer elsewhere once aboard. to remove it you must find a trustworthy program that will sweep it from (clear it off of) your system. in network environmentsptsnoop may take weeks to clear off. also when clearing it off it is advisable to NOT be hooked to your ISP when doing so. in network environments the whole system should be sweeped at once or the sweep will have little effect. i suggest sweeping single computers once a week to check for any such device. the troublesigns of ptsnoop that stick out the most is that your system is bogged down (functions very slowly), programs are coming up with unusual errors, and when shutting down the pc after being hooked up to your ISP occaisionally there is the message "ptsnoop has performed an illegal function and will be shutdown" or something similar."

Might want to consider getting rid of it. Go to housecalls & see if they detect it

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Find Fast is a big resource hog and needs to have the Kabosh put on it -- it's probably the main reason you are getting those slow downs....

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q158705

SaveNow is an indication you have spyware installed and you should run Ad-Aware to get rid of that. You can also go to msconfig>startup and try unchecking it.

While your're there look for newdotnet, if you have this you will need some special instructions, rosary beads, voodoo dolls and whatever other goodluck charms to ensure a proper removal. Post back for further advice if you have it.

Not sure why you have rundll32 listed there, that might be due to Newdotnet...

Edit: actually there is a widespread misconception about ptsnoop, it was misreported by some antivirus apps as being a trojan for a while. But it isn't. It's a utility for checking modem ports, probably not required, but not harmful.

11. MrKowz

MrKowz Thread Starter

Break out those rosary beads and voodoo dolls, cause I have New.net......

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I am personally skittish about giving instructions for the uninstall of this program, but hopefully with some fail safe's in place you should be able to repair any damage. And you do have another computer available to seek help on.

The more recent versions seem to uninstall from add/remove more sucessfully. But you may need to try Tony Klein's method in this post:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58965&highlight=newdotnet

This concerns both new.net and savenow, courtesy of MS:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q302463

Before you try anything though, download the zip file here, you may need it to repair the registry:

http://www.lavasoft.de/aaw/binary/whndnfix.zip

If that still leaves you high and dry, try this Winsock fix posted by DEL:

Winsock2 Fix;
    Please note if you are going to do this you must have installation cd or cab files.
    -Go to add and remove program | windows setup tab| take the check mark out of COMMUNICATION | click apply | when asked to reboot say no. -Click start | run | type regedit follow the path HKEY LOCAL MACHINES | system | current control set | services | winsock2 -Right clickl select delete. -Go to add remove programs | windows setup | put check in COMMUNICATIONS | when asked to reboot say no. -Check network verify ther is no duplicate adapters and only what is required is there. -Reboot and try to browse.

And if that doesn't work, or you can't carry it out, come back and I will give you the hoariest, most detailed set of instructions provided by newnet for uninstalling and repairing the damage caused by their program.

13. MrKowz

MrKowz Thread Starter

I have not yet done the new.net un-installation, cause I gotta go to bet now. I DID use that online virus scan, it found 9 items. All were un-cleanable, so I just deleted em all. I dont want any nasty crap loaded on my comp. Well, I guess I will kinda talk to you tomorrow.

14. MrKowz

MrKowz Thread Starter

I love my computer! It is cooperating with me for once! Newdotnet is successfully UNINSTALLED! As is Savenow! Anything else I should get rid of. (I also got rid of Go!Zilla to prevent some other adware/spyware to get in the comp) Now, I use GetRight. Is that safe to use before I install it? And, yet again, thanx for the help and support!

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Great!

Didja' also dump Find Fast? It'll clog up the system as fast as anything.

As for Getright, it may depend on the version. I think I read something about a recent version being "ad-supported", but not containing spyware -- along the same lines as DAP, Download Accelerator Plus. But previous versions were definitely had the advert.dll

http://www.suttondesigns.com/EnigmaBrowser/infospyware.html

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice