1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] software question please help

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Xenos, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xenos

Xenos Thread Starter

I have foundseveral sites that will let me type words and have them repeat them to me. The problem is that it will only save it in my TEMP folder(which is find and dandy if i want to hear it once but i want to be able to save the WAV file and make it say things when i start my computer or have someone pop online etc....I wanted it to give me the option to be able to save it to a folder of my choosing.. any suggestions on how to do this? Someone told me that it will only do that when you have the option checked in the .wav file type in Folder Options. Well i went to folder options and the WAV extension is not listed under registered file types. SO, back to square one I guess, but how do I get it to give me the option for me to save to a folder of my choosing instead of it automatically saving to my TEMP folder?

2. Sharon D

Sharon D

Hi Xenos. Do you think you could post a couple of those sites so we can check them out and see what you mean? Hope you are having a good weekend. :)

3. Xenos

Xenos Thread Starter

4. Sharon D

Sharon D

Hmmm...I'm not sure what's up with your download problem because I was able to choose where I wanted to save the .wav file at both sites. Do you have this downloading problem only with these sites or is it the same for all downloads? What browser are you using? Are you using a download manager like Real Download?

5. Xenos

Xenos Thread Starter

it doesnt do that will all downloads? i was able to before(around 2 weeks ago) to get it to let me choose where i want to save it. I am using the AOL browser. Interent Explorer does the same thing to, i am not able to choose where i can download it. ANy suggestions on how to fix this problem?

6. Sharon D

Sharon D

Do you know if you are using any download managers? I know that some of them can change the location of where your downloaded files are saved. Maybe someone will pop in who has had this problem before. I'll do some research about downloading probelms and get back to you as soon as I can. :)

7. Xenos

Xenos Thread Starter

The only thing i have is netscape smart download.....i have tried going to these sites with it enable and disabled......still the same problem. My netscape browser works with the http://www.lhsl.com/realspeak/demo/text.asp site.....it lets me save the wav file to my desired location but the other at&t site wont let me it gives me an error. I just want to be able to save the wav file using my aol browser or IE browser. Thanks for your help so far.

8. Sharon D

Sharon D

I found a MS article realted to your download problem here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q177/9/76.ASP

You mentioned that you could not find .WAV extension in Folder Options>File Types. I gather you are going to have to create it by going into Folder Options>File Types and clicking on the "New" button, type .wav, click on Ok. To specify which program opens this extension, find the .Wav registered file type that you just created, click on the "Change" button. When the "Open with" dialog box pops up select the media player that you want to open .wav files with. Then click Ok. Click on the Advanced button of the .wav file type that you just created and make sure that the "Confirm Open after Download" box is checked, click Ok.

BTW, this procedure is for WinMe, it might vary slightly with Win98\SE. I don't have access to a Win98\SE machine to see how much it varies. What operating system are you running?
    Let us know if this fixes your download problem or not.
    Good luck :) sharon

9. Xenos

Xenos Thread Starter

Thank you for your help, the link to the microsoft article led me to the solution. Thanks for your patience :)

10. Sharon D

Sharon D

You're very welcome Xenos. :) Did you ever find that registered .wav file type in Folder Options>File Types or did you have to create a new one?

11. Xenos

Xenos Thread Starter

it wasnt listed..somehow it was hiding in my winamp extensions i think but i dont remember seeiing just a WAV extension

12. Sharon D

Sharon D

That's odd. Here's a screenshot of mine below. I'm not sure I understand when you say "It was hiding somehow in my winamp extensions." Do you have Win98 or WinMe? Just curious...

Attached Files:

13. Xenos

Xenos Thread Starter

I have windows 98 SE. It doesnt list WAV for an extension..it says Winamp extension installation file, winamp media file, and winamp playlist file. But no list for WAV. Once again, thank you for your help :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!