1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[resolved]Spybot keeps finding DSO Exploits ( 5 entries )

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by StiKyVik, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StiKyVik

StiKyVik Thread Starter

Hi there

I have only just begun downloading all the anti virus software and started to sort out the mess that was my pc. When i use Spybot to do a system scan it keeps finding DSO Exploit ( 5 entries):

DSO Exploit: Data source object exploit (Registry change, nothing done)
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-854245398-1757981266-682003330-1004\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

Although i ask it to fix the problems and it tells me it has - it still appears on the next scan. As a newby i have no idea what it is or how to fix it!! Any ideas please?

Thanks!

2. Tranquility

Tranquility

This is a known bug in Spybot S&D and will be fixed when the newer signatures are released. There are some workarounds for this until the signatures are released, such as using beta signatures. There was a long thread in the Spybot forums about this.
    Here it is:
    http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=17159

3. StiKyVik

StiKyVik Thread Starter

Hi Tranquility

thanks for taking the time to reply - my mind is at ease now!! :)

4. Tranquility

Tranquility

No problem.
    To summarize the DSO exploit was a hole in Windows that could allow hackers to compromise a system, but which was patched by Microsoft and it won't harm you if you have the latest Windows updates. Spybot can't deal with the related registry values properly yet.

5. StiKyVik

StiKyVik Thread Starter

that doesn't mean much to me i'm afraid!! I downloaded all the windows updates last night so i should be ok then - thanks for your help! :)

6. Tranquility

Tranquility

Heh well if you've downloaded all the updates you're out of the woods. Its an annoying thing but will hopefully be fixed with the next Spybot update.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!