1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Systray icon removal - msconfig doesn't work

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Lyn Patterson, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lyn Patterson

Lyn Patterson Thread Starter

Have removed check on item after running msconfig, clicked apply and re-booted, but still the icon appears ! What is the next step? It (icon) is for a couple of screen savers (ScreenScapes) that I installed recently. Thanks.

Lyn

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

The icon on the taskbar must be a program, right? Find the name of it & go to its folder... see if there is an uninstaller...

If you don't find and uninstaller go to add/remove & see if its there.

To disable the desktop backgrounds... Right click on an empty spot on your desktop & go to properties.
    Then click the tab at the top.... "Screen Saver"
    on the dropdown box select "none" ... apply & click ok.

That should take care of it for you

Savvy :)

3. Lyn Patterson

SavvyLady -

I don't want to uninstall them - I just don't want them appearing on the systray every time I startup. They do that even if I am running another screensaver. Any ideas? Thanks !

Lyn

4. hewee

hewee

Lyn Patterson,

Have you right click the icon to see if it has option, setting or Preferences there?

Also if you do as SavvyLady said but pack the (ScreenScapes) screen saver and the see the "Setting" button there. Click on it and see what you get to pick from.

5. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

I tmay involve a registry fix. If so I wont be of much help unless I run across something. For right now, have you tried finding any kind of options for the screensaver? Some programs have there own place to check if you want it to start at startup and you have to uncheck it and msconfig at the same time before you boot.

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Wonder if she can move the icon in start to disabled startup.........by copying it then pasting.........then return to start & delete it?

7. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

8. Lyn Patterson

Thanks, heewee (loved the kittens), DoyceJ and SavvyLady -

have solved the problem accidentally. The programme itself was no help, no options, no nothing but I was investigating the Maintenance Wizard (which I don't use) and up came the box 'Start Windows More Quickly". It listed 5 (only) programmes that start automatically (even though I have more) and one of them was the ScreenSaver. So I unchecked it and on re-booting, it has disappeared ! Worth remembering as this is where it must have been starting from even though it had been unchecked in msconfig\startup.

Lyn

9. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Glad you got it resolved

10. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Cool. :)

11. hewee

hewee

Good to hear you got it fixed.

I just got Windows 98 so I have things to learn too.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice