1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) Temp. files ???

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by tatersgranny, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tatersgranny

tatersgranny Thread Starter

One quick ( probaly stupid ) question for you very intelligent people. I am trying to do a major clean-up of my system and I went to : my comp>c:>windows>temp. internet files , and I deleted over 3,000 files and cookies.
    Now , for the question......Where in the John Henry did they go. Do they not go to the recycle bin? Are they gone off my system? Uh-oh that was 2 questions....oh well I have faith in yall.
    Thanks in advance.............Taters_Granny:)

Ew goodness...I see 3 ?`s

2. Corrosive

Corrosive

Where the files went depends largely on you're recycle bin settings and the size of you're HDD. Normally, you would have to empty the bin to get rid of the files, to all intents and purposes.

If you got a message saying that the files "are too large for the recycle bin [and] do you want to permanantly delete them?" then they have - to all intents and purposes - gone.

I say "to all intents and purposes" in both cases because any advanced user could easily retrieve them again with the right tools.

You see, when you confirm that you want x, y and z deleted, it only puts a small mark on the files that says "I can be overwritten." If the blank spaces on you're HDD then fills up, Windows checks for any file that has this statement and promptly overwrites it. All that you have to do to recover them is to search for these files and get rid of that statement.

I hope that this has further enlightened you. :D

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Granny
    After you complete the cleanup process including Temporary Internet Files, Restart your system in safemode and do a through Scandisk and then followup with a Defrag. No sense in going through the cleanup and not organizing.

Dave

Remove TIF files- IE\Tools\Internet Options\General tab click delete files in Temp section and select all offline content when prompted.

Start is safemode- Restart system and keep tapping F8 key until selection screen appears then select Safemode.

4. tatersgranny

Thanks to both of you for answering...Davey,when I got through cleaning,I did a scan disk and defrag. "but " not in safe mode.I have never done that ,but I believe I can follow your instructions.
    I have another system and I have about given up on it because it was so slow. So since I learned on this site about the temp. files and cookies,I figured I would check the other system out and it has 3 yrs. worth of hidden cookies and temp. files
    3,258 to be exact. So your info really comes in handy. Well I`ve already deleted 1,000 of them one at a time ,so let me go try what you said,and see if I can clean that up.

Thanks a million..I will come back and let ya know how things went.
    Taters_granny

5. tatersgranny

O.K. I followed your directions and old system is doing its scan disk in safe mode as we speak...but new system..when I restarted and kept tapping f8 ,it just continued loading in normal mode. Tried it twice and it done same thing...any suggestions?

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Granny
    Yes some systems do not respond to the F8 and a control key function has to be used but for the life of me my mind went blank on the method. Maybe someone else will refresh my memory!

Dave

PS: Try holding the Control Key down during restart.

7. tatersgranny

Davey,Thanks I will sure try that.

8. tatersgranny

The ctrl key worked. Now let me ask this question. After I started in safe mode and then ran scan disk and defrag. then rebooted.
    When it was loaded, some of my desktop icons changed,for instance TSG was a nice little green ? ....now it is an internet explorer file or something. Does anyone know why that happens?
    No big deal....just curious....but I did like the question mark better.

Taters_Granny :p

9. DVOM

DVOM

That TSG icon was stored as a temp file which you've deleted.

10. tatersgranny

Oh my....sorry. Well I guess this thread can be marked Resolved. Thanks to everyone for the help....now on to the networking thread to see if I can get another problem resolved. Care to follow??? You may just know the answer.
    Thanks to all, Taters_granny;)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!