1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED THE HARD WAY}Got Help from GURU, all went to doodoo.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dawn davis, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dawn davis

dawn davis Thread Starter

I was having OE and OD exception errors, that led to a faulty Secondary IDE Controller (Dual Fifo). A Guru helped me and told me to uninstall it, so I did. This did stop the error messages, but now the problem is with my intel PIIIX Bus Mastering PCI IDE Controller. The (!) is now on it. When I go into control panel>systems to the performance tab here is what it says:
    File System: some drivers are using MS DOS Compatability mode
    Virtual Memory: MS DOS Capability mode
    Disk Compression: 32 Bit
    PC Card: No PCM CIA Sockets installed select the item and click details.
    First line in box reads: capability mode paging reduces overall system performances, click details and windows help pops up and says: Windows was not able to identify a real mode driver or memory resident program loaded in your config.sys or autoexec.bat file
    You will see another message that list the name of the driver or program causing the program. Because windows could not identify the driver and program, it has switched to MS DOS capability mode to insure that this program will run, however this slows down overall performance (YOU AIN"T KIDDING, I AM FREEZING UP ALL THE TIME) Remove the program or driver that is causing the problem or contact it's manufacturer for an updated version.
    Line2: In the box, reads: drive C: using MS DOS MODE file system details,
    Drive X using MS DOS MODE , this problem accures in more than one drive usually it is caused by a driver in config.sys. that windows doesn't recognize, and is related to the problem, shows help for that problem.
    Line 3: Drive D, using compatibility mode gives the same message as above
    Line 4: Drive H, same message as above.
    When I checked the properties of the intel PIIIX Bus Mastering PCI IDE Controller the one with the (!) on it is says: Device type hard disk controller
    Manufacturer: Intel
    Hardware Version: 000
    Device Status: This device is causing a resource conflict, to resolve this conflict use hardware trouble shooter in help (code 15)
    I tried this and it said that is couldn't help me.
    Under resources tab it says: Windows can not determine which resource the device is using, this is probably because windows can not assign a configuration due to a conflict with other devices in the computer. I have an IBM APTIVA Model 2159-S66, running Windows 95.
    This is all Greek to me, can someone please help me??? And not continue to mess me all up. Thank you,
    Dawn Davis

2. JerryM

JerryM

Hi Dawn, I have seen this many times, and I am not worried about it, usually If you just get your motherboard installation cd. set it down next to you, then open up device manager, DELETE teh offending components, all those that are marked functioning not on par or not functioning at all, just delete them.

Yes they are important, but it is far easier to fix with the faulty confgis removed.

reboot: when it comes back up and into Windows, first thing pop the manufacturers disk into the drive.

Let the windows hardware wizard do what it is supposed to do, IF it asks you for help, in locating the drivers for what is missing, fine, point the browser to the CD drive and then the appropriate folder therein.
    Ide, etc. etc.

Best of luck, and keep us posted....

3. dawn davis

What is the motherboard installation CD??? All I have is the Aptiva recovery disk and the Aptiva Diagnostics and Utilities, and the Windows 95 installation disk. Are these the CD's that you are talking about???

4. JerryM

JerryM

Those should do for a start.

MEanwhile, having those handy, go ahead Dawn, and delete those items I mentioned above..
    Let Windows work, and reinstall them properly..

Usually by deleting them, when the computer comes back online to windows, it reinstalls the missing archives for you.

If it needs help, then use the CD's consecutively.
    :cool:

5. dawn davis

would not know anything about the cd's and "using consecutively". The word "should" is what has me freaking out. Love can you tell me what steps I would need to take if windows does not do its thing and i have to do this from cd. Where would I start?? And will it walk me through it I am blind over here, feeling stupid too.
    If I screw my pc up, god knows what my husband will come home and do to me, if you get my drift. Hell if he knew I had All this going on hed have a cow.

6. brianF

brianF

This seems to be the key

Go to start/run/type sysedit and press enter.

Select the config.sys tab, copy all and paste back into this thread, do the same with the autoexec.bat tab.

7. JerryM

JerryM

Do NOT let it throw you.. The word Should is not a problem..
    You will still be able to get into windows,.
    Go ahead with the first steps, That I discussed, and from there, If it does not correct the problem, then we can take other steps. Slowly and carefully...

8. dawn davis

[COMMON]
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
    BUFFERS=50
    FILES=40
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS I=E000-EFFF X=F000-FEFF
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\IBMIDECD.SYS
    this is from the config.sys

9. dawn davis

@ECHO OFF
    C:\IBMAV95\IBMAVSH /F00
    PATH C:\MWW\DLL;C:\IBMTOOLS
    LH DOSKEY
    SET MWPATH=C:\MWW\DLL;C:\MWW\MWGAMES;C:\MWW\DSP
    REM The following is used by DOS games to recognize Sound Blaster hardware.
    REM If hardware settings are changed, please change this line as well.
    REM See the Mwave README file for instructions.
    This is the autoexec.bat

10. dawn davis

Jerry,
    I did remove that faulty PIIIX Controller and windows did re-install it.............with the(!) right back on it. I also ran a diagnostic on it with the cd that came with the aptiva and when I rebooted my wire-less mouse was not working, no blinking light nothing????Am using diffrent mouse now.

11. JerryM

JerryM

Ok, Dawn, no it gets alittle more.
    Here is a quick answer.
    Give me the Make and Model of the Aptiva.
    Possibly the serial.
    I will wait for the answer, I am getting a cup of coffee.
    When you send the answer, I will look up the process from IBM, send you the URL.

12. dawn davis

aptiva model:2159- SS-66
    SN#23R0465 (SL-A)

13. brianF

brianF

Maybe worth a try to rem out the cd.sys comment and then remove the device again and reboot. It's a dos cdrom driver as far as I know, unless you use dos it's not really needed.

Just add rem infront of the line like below

[COMMON]
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
    BUFFERS=50
    FILES=40
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS I=E000-EFFF X=F000-FEFF
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    REM DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\IBMIDECD.SYS
    this is from the config.sys

You can always remove the rem remark later if it doesn't help

14. JerryM

JerryM

Dawn, are you using Windows 98 SE or Windows ME

15. JerryM

JerryM

I am reading at IBM that you should have a program called ConfigSafe in your Device manager.
    Activate it.
    You should have a way to view the snapshots taken.
    Look up for a date that a snapshot was taken just before you started having problems...
    click on that date, and look for a restore to that date.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice