1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED THE HARDWAY :)}CD-RW drive died

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cjreed64, Dec 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cjreed64

cjreed64 Thread Starter

My CD burner has been heading towards its death for a while. It worked less and less frequently until, yesterday, it died. I tried switching power connectors and ribbon cables, but it is dead. I just wish it wouldn't have died with my CD-RW in it! How do I get this out? It doesn't have one of those pinholes for the emergency eject. I will disassemble the drive if there is no other solution. Thanks!

-Chris

2. brianF

brianF

what make and model is it

3. cjreed64

cjreed64 Thread Starter

Sorry. I should have told you that. It doesn't say on the front of the drive. I'm pretty sure it says NEC on the top. I will go check. It was just a generic 4x4x24 drive we bought. Thanks for responding so quickly!

-Chris

4. brianF

brianF

found this, see if it applies

If a CD-ROM disc won't eject when the CD-ROM changer is powered ON and the CD-ROM disc is not in use, follow the below procedures: See also your NEC Technologies, Inc. 4x4 User Manual on page 31.

1. Power OFF the PC, remove the changer completely from the computer and disconnect all of the cables.

2. Remove the two rectangular silver tapes and clear plastic covers that protect the gear mechanisms on the left side of the changer.

3. Use your finger to manually rotate the left gear downward until the dust door is completely. View the two screws on the right side of the changer and verify that they are in the down position as shown in illustration.

4. Use your finger to manually rotate the right gear downward until jammed disc is ejected. Once the disc is visible, remove the disc by hand.

5. Replace the silver tapes and clear plastic covers, reattach the cables, and reinstall your changer.

5. cjreed64

cjreed64 Thread Starter

Thank you for your time. It turns out it was a Philips. It is now lying on my floor in pieces and my CD-RW is safely back in its case. Of course, the drive was more important, but it was already gone. Sorry I wasted your time.

-Chris

6. cjreed64

cjreed64 Thread Starter

Hey, you! How dare you call my method the hard way. I enjoyed disassembling the drive and seeing how it works. hehehe ;)

I actually took the disk out before disassembling the drive. I pulled the tray out with force after removing the front cover. So there! :p

-Chris

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice