(Resolved) This seems interesting...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wildlife

Ok this is gonna get long... lol and I'm kinda embarrassed that I can't figure this out.... but...

I have an old P133 machine with 64 mb RAM and a 2 GB hard drive. It has an SMC EtherEZ card. I decided I wanted to add it to my network and put it in a different place in my house to be able to do some web site, message board work while being able to keep a half eye on my 10 month old son. I digress... here's what happened.

Deleted the primary partition, created a primary partition and re-formatted the hard drive. Then proceeded to install Win98SE. Install went flawlessly. Got all the other hardware installed and hooked it up to my network. (This particular PC goes thru a 5 port Linksys hub to a Linux server which acts as a gateway to the internet over a dial up connection. Why? because I can... lol)

This install of Windows installed IE 5.0. I opened IE, and set up the connection to the internet over my LAN and the homepage opened just fine... (I think it was msn.com) Anyway, if I clicked on any links, I would get "Page not found" in the browser.

I messed with security settings and made sure everything was set up the way I thought it should be, cleared temp internet files, cookies, and history many times, changed out the Cat5e cable and tried again... clicked on any link, "page not found" BTW, e-mail works flawlessly every time...

So I typed the url of my web page in the Address box (www.thatcomputerguy.us). My web site came up fine, but when I clicked on a link, guess what happened? "page not found". I tried this with many other pages... could get a page to come up by typing in the URL, but if I clicked on any links... "page not found"

Seems if I type a url into the address box, the page comes up fine, but something with clicking the links doesn't get the page to be able to download.

I wanted to upgrade IE to 5.5 or 6.0, but I can't get to a download because that would mean clicking a link... and then "page not found"

Very strange.... Anyone got any thoughts? All other pc's on the network ( 2 win 98 SE's and a Linux Mandrake 8.0) access things just fine.

I ran out of time, otherwise I would have moved the pc to a different location and hooked it up in a different part of the network, or brought a pc to that location and hook it up.

*shrug*

Dusty
That Computer Guy
http://www.thatcomputerguy.us

Wildlife
Upgrading IE may be the way to go!
If you download IE5.5 SP2 without install to another computer and either burn to CD or copy over network to the offending computer you should be able to load.
Here is the link to the download:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/recommended/ie55sp2/download.asp

And here is a link to the post that references how to do it.
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?postid=463492#post463492

Hope that helps since I have to run to work.
Nice Personal Website by the way!

Dave

Wildlife

Thanks Davey...

for the input and the comment about my site. :)

This was my next trial... to get another browser version downloaded and burned to a cd... I have to download it to the secretary's pc here so I can burn it... not to mention, I can't start the install of 5.5 on the machine in my office running Win2000, cause it says "already a newer version of IE installed, setup can't continue."

I'll get it downloaded to a diff pc and burned and see if I can't get that to work

I'll keep ya posted,
Thanks again!

Dusty
That Computer Guy
http://www.thatcomputerguy.us

Wildlife
There is a registry entry we could of changed real easy to allow the download to occur essentially fooling the system into thinking an older version was installed. However that is mute now since you probably have the item already downloaded and burned.

Another note here if you get this message before the attempt..... You will have to download the IE5.5 setup and files to a folder on the hard drive and then remove the read only property in mass before it is usable. As you know CD burns to CDR place a Read only property on files when they are burned.

Dave

Wildlife

Davey, Thanks for the assistance, but here's how it all worked out.... I never did come up with a fix... but just so those who read this thread know what I went thru and where it stands.

Well, after a lot of frustration... I'm posting this message from the pc that wouldn't link to any other page...

Since it had IE 5.0 that was installed with the clean Win98 install, I wasn't able to "Repair IE" as was one of the first tips I got from a friend of mine... "Repair IE" doesn't come along until IE 5.5... Strike one!

I managed to get IE 5.5 installed... believe it or not. I was going to initially burn the full install of 5.5 to a cd then install it from cd, but I tried saving the 500 or so kb install file to a disk, executing it on this pc and it actually downloaded the full 13+ MB and installed 5.5 just fine.... but to no avail... same problem as described in the first post. I even did the "Repair IE" step at this point... no help. Strike TWO!

I tried to run SFC (system file checker) from the run command, and didn't get any results that way either.... STrike THREE! (If this had been baseball, I'd be out by now... take a seat!)

I also took a tip to check to make sure page transitions was enabled in the advanced tab of the internet options menu... it was...

The next tip Tony Klein actually posted in another related thread here. It was to run SFC again and restore the oleaut32.dll file..... I did this... no dice... Strike... oh heck I'm gonna lose count.

At this point... I decided that it wasn't worth my time trying to "fix" this problem. And so... since I had just reformatted this hard drive and installed Win98, and there really wasn't any programs or anything loaded, it was just bare bones... I bit the bullet and reformatted the HD again and started from scratch. It is working fine right now after the clean install. I'm in the process of downloading and installing all the critical updates from Windows and will be downloading and installing IE 5.5 next.

Whew!! It's working...
Dusty

Wildlife
Wow thats quite a ballgame more like the World Series! Wish I would of bought tickets!;) Anyway to bad you had to go through all that effort and end up formatting anyway. Some problems I have found just beg for formatting and reloading vs the frustration. That usually occurs when extensive Reg cleaning is done or severe virus attack which wasn't this case. Glad all is well now and will consider this matter resolved.

Dave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online