Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

{RESOLVED}Trouble adding Video card - TNT 2 M64

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Beffan 
#1 ·
I am upgrading a Dell. I just successfully installed an additional 128MB Ram. However the problem is with the Video Card. It already has onboard video with a pathetic 8MB of Video Ram. I got a nvidia e-TNT 2 M64 PCI video card and installed it. The neat little installer program first removed all the old drivers, then installed the new ones. Everything was going good untill I realized that I couldn't get a signal through the new PCI card until I reinstalled the drivers on the onboard display adapter and set up the TNT card as a SECONDARY monitor. But that's not what I want to do.

-->I want to stop using the onboard adapter (with 8MB) and use the new TNT card (with 32MB) as my primary (and ONLY) display.

I can go into Display Properties, enable monitor 2 (the TNT), move the position of the two monitors around, but I can't disable monitor 1 (the onboard) and I can't set 2 as the primary. The option to set 2 as primary is greyed out and the option to unset 1 from being primary is also greyed out. The only option I have is A: use the onboard only or B: use both moniters and stretch the display across both. If I try to uncheck the "display screen across both monitors, it disables monitor 2. :mad:

btw, when this Dell boots up, all that is displayed is the Dell splash screen with no options, it doesn't display the POST, it goes directly from the Dell logo to the Windows 98 logo.

also, there are no AGP slots, just 2 ISA and 4 PCI. And there is only one output on the video card. I'm not sure if this means anything. A friend of mine had a video card that needed a cable that ran from the onboard to the card and then out to the monitor. Geez...did I get the wrong video card? I hope not! I am hoping that I can somehow disable the onboard adapter.

See less See more
#2 ·
Try this

in device manager, remove both display adapter cards and restart. On restart hit the escape key to hopefully get rid of the dell logo. Press Ctrl Alt Enter to enter bios setup. Look for an option to initiate display first, set it to pci(thinking that the onboard is agp. Save and exit and see if it works.

#3 ·
Once you start the puter, at the Dell splash screen try and press F2 or F10 or Del ( depends of the machine , so you need to experiment) and that should give access to the BIOS. Once in BIOS will need to look for the option that disable the "onboard" video. If you don't see one , then might look on the Dell web site ( or use google) to find a manual for your machine. Once you have it , look in it and see if you don't have a "jumper" on the motherboard that disables the video.
Other wise, windows will continue to use the onboard video as the main and the TNT as secondary..( ohh kinda think of it , see if you have in BIOS an option like this " Init Display: Agp/PCI".. basically a option that will let you boot the computer from a video card other then the onboard one. If you do have this option , then choose PCI as the initial display and then disable the "onboard " video in Device Manager .... Can't get rid of it , but at least disable it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.