1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Trouble Downloading Quicktime

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by John Bee, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John Bee

John Bee Thread Starter

When I attempt to download Apple Quicktime I get an error message reading "Acrobat Reader cannot read PDF file"

2. brianF

brianF

windows thinks the file is a pdf file for whatever reason

Try going to the download link, and do a save as, see it that works

duh, try this link to the standalone installer, should ask you to save as, then run the file after download
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone/

3. John Bee

John Bee Thread Starter

I did what you said and I got the same message when I tried to open it. I downloaded the installer to my desktop, but when I tried to run it I get the message "acrobat reader cannot read PDF file." Thanks for trying.

4. brianF

brianF

Not sure on the fix, will try and find some help for ya.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Does the file have an .exe extension on it after it is downloaded? It could be a self executing zip which are .exe files. Are other exe's opening normally?

What exact link are you downloading?

Well I just looked at the file Brian linked to and it is in fact a .zip file.

Do other zip files open ok? You might just be getting a corrupt download. And be sure you are selecting the Windows version there, not the MAC one which is checked by default.

If the file has a .zip extension try reassociating it to your zip program. You can select (highlight) the file then shift+right click on it. Select "open with" from the dialog and scroll to your zip program and select it and check "always use".

Also try opening the file through the user interface of your zip program.

6. John Bee

John Bee Thread Starter

This is the exact error message that I am now getting:

"There was an error opening this document. File does not begin with %PDF-.

I have not gotten to the point of seeing if there is a .exe extension or not.
    I dont have a clue of what a zip file is or means.
    I am trying to download Apple's Quicktime.
    I definetly clicked on Windows 95

Thank you.

7. brianF

brianF

the file your downloading is a .zip file. Compressed data to cut down on the download amount.

You need a program like winzip www.winzip.com to uncompress the data

I would suggest downloading and installing winzip, then your file association with zipped files should be corrected.

Once installed, create a folder and move the zip file into it, then click on the zip, winzip should open and ask you where you want to extract the file to, make sure you extract to the folder you created. Once done, you should see a setup.exe in the unzipped documents. Try running that. If everything is alright, you can delete the new folder, zip, and uncompressed zip files.

Let us know what happens.

For some reason acrobat thinks .zip files are for it rather than unassociated.

8. John Bee

John Bee Thread Starter

Thanks, Brian F, you were right on the money. I downloaded winzip and then quicktime. Both loaded without any problems. I still dont have a clue of what a winzip is, but for now it seems to have solved my problem. Thank you again for the help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!