1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}trying to replace hard drive on a 486

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JellyFish, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JellyFish

JellyFish Thread Starter

Pathetic, I know, but I replaced the dying 600(odd)MB hard drive on my kids' 486 (AST Advantage! Adventure 4100) with a used 2.1 G drive. No jumpers-I took it off since it is a single drive. (jumper set to Master gave me "failed disk" message--haven't tried the CS setting) When I boot the system, I get a "non-system disk" error, so I boot from a Win98 startup floppy. I start Windows setup, which then runs Scandisk. When Scandisk starts, it tells me it can't read from the last cluster on the drive, and that my LBA setting may be wrong. I've enabled LBA mode, and entered the info in the BIOS setup re: cylinders, heads & spt. There were other settings that I wasn't sure of values for, so I left them alone. ("prewrite comp" and "multiple sector transfer") THE PROBLEM: I run Scandisk anyway, even with the LBA message, and when it gets to the surface scan, about a quarter of the way through, it's reporting every single sector it tries to read as bad. (I stopped after about 1000 out of 519,000) Can the drive be that screwed, or is this because of a wrong configuration in setup? Can someone tell me what to look for? The BIOS is Phoenix Version 4.04 Plug & Play, and the setup utility separates system setup and Fixed Disk setup.

2. brianF

brianF

The hard drive is probably too large for that machine.
    Try going to the hard drive manufacturers web site and download the overlay utility to install drives and overcome bios limitations.

Do the bios report the correct hard drive size after you configure it and save and reboot.

did you try using fdisk to repartition and format the drive

3. JellyFish

JellyFish Thread Starter

The machine should be able to address up to a 4G drive...

The bios does report the correct size for the drive, and scandisk shows the whole thing, too--it just doesn't get past a certain point in scanning.

I started fdisk, but didn't repartition, because when I chose the option to "show partition information" everything looked right. (C: was the active (and only) partition, and it was using FAT32)
    I'll try to repartition the drive, and see if that does it. If not, I'll check out the web site for the drive. I think I need to Undo the changes Scandisk made first, though, because it marked all those clusters as bad...or will the repartition/reformat clear that up?

4. brianF

brianF

guess I would try to repartition and format, if that doesn't work you may need to try and download and run a low level format utility from the manufacturer. that's the only thing I can think of.

5. JellyFish

JellyFish Thread Starter

The repartition and reformat worked--thank you. I had to first delete the primary partition, and then create it again. And here's something odd--the WIN98 startup disk I was using wouldn't allow a reformat of the hard drive (bad command), but the old WIN95 startup disk I still have worked fine...And then Windows98 installed with no major difficulties. So now my kids have a "bigger and better" computer. Thanks for your help!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice