1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Resolved: Turning off security software to free RAM

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by ChrisSekely, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChrisSekely

ChrisSekely Thread Starter

I have a relatively old computer-a 500 Mhz Pentium III with 256 Mb of SDRAM. My operating system is Windows 2000 Professional, version 5.0.2195, service pack 4. Because of my slower processor and limited RAM I cannot play many newer games on my computer. The ones that I can play benefit greatly from my first freeing as much RAM as possible. To this end, I have physically disconnected my computer from the internet and then attempted to completely close all of my security software. However, most of the software that I have tried will leave processes running in ram even when the main interface has been closed. I have tried forcing them to stop using CTRL-ALT-DEL, put this does not work. While I would appreciate application specific solutions, I am hoping for a general, windows level solution. Here's a list of the specific security software I'm using (all freeware):

Antivirus: AVG Control Center version 7.1.37, www.grisoft.com
    Firewall: Netveda Safety.NET 3.61.0002, www.netveda.com
    Anti Spyware: Microsoft AntiSpyware version 7.0.701

I hope one of you can help. Thank you.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, There is some info on shutting down two of the program you use here:

http://forums.techguy.org/security/110854-security-help-tools.html

Scroll down to the RED link titled "Temporarily turning off protective programs when fixing malware"

The firewall you use is not covered there, but there should be directions for it somewhere, perhaps at the makers support web page?

OK> try here: http://forums.netveda.com/ page takes a while to fully load.
    It's peach colored....very unique and easy on the eyeballs.
    I looked through a lot of their pages but did not find anything on turning it off. Someone here may use this program and be able to tell you what to do.

3. Byteman

Hi, Have you been able to make any progress with this?

4. ChrisSekely

ChrisSekely Thread Starter

Thank you for your concern, and sorry for my delay...I've been busy. Anyway, yes I have made progress. The first link you listed provided me with some information that was helpful in fully shutting down Microsoft AntiSpyware. However, I didn't find anything regarding my antivirus software, which had been the most troublesome.

I finally happened upon a solution myself while searching for something else entirely. Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Services allows me to mess with system processes much more thoroughly and effectively than Ctrl-Alt-Del. While its a somewhat cumbersome solution, it is effective.

5. Byteman

Hi, Thank you for coming back with a reply...

I use AVG 7, and turn it off temporarily this way:

Open the main AVG program window, and at the bottom, hit Properties, where it says Resident Shield> uncheck the box to turn it off. next time you start, it won't be running. You have to manually go back here and click the "Activate" button, which only appears if you have turned AVG off beforehand. It takes a second or two to reactivate, then you should see the normal colored icon down in the tray for AVG, when it is dark colorless, it's off.

By the way, I thought AVG was covered at the Security Help Tools link I posted in my first reply, I see it isn't, but we will add that.

I would think the firewall would help if turned off performance-wise but as I am sure you know, turning off all the protection can be a little risky. Good luck!

I can mark this RESOLVED for you, but next time, you can mark your own thread when you feel it is over or you have shot and killed your computer... Just use the Thread Tools button at the top of your first post in the thread.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice