1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] UH OH is all i can say

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sweetcheekies, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sweetcheekies

sweetcheekies Thread Starter

If only u knew what I did to my computer now lol good lord this one will teach me for screwing with my puter .. okay here is what I did.. I uninstalled IE6 and reinstalled 5.5 but dumb *** me went and replaced Some older files with newer ones and kept some old files.. well now that apparently screwed everything up.. I now basically have a mix of both versions.... as you can prolly guess that totally dont work.. I am right now on my old computer.. that tell u anything? lol So please dont ask what the heck happened all i know is I screwed my puter big time.. I can restart in safe mode and every thing is there.. but however as soon as I try to do anything i get EXPLORER errors coming outta the wazooo .. Now The prob is I cant do anything at all with my puter.. I mean nothing except turn it on and If I were to list all the errors I get.. I would be here all day lol seriously .. Now here is what I was wondering.. can i some how start my puter in MS-DOS MODE right from the get go .. I cant do it by going to start/shutdown/restart in dos mode.. i cant access that lol pretty bad eh? Okay here is what i was wondering.. if i can do that can i some how access my IE 5.5 .exe file and run it? if so that may help me ..... or no am i going to loose everything on my puter??? :confused:

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Assuming you have W98 ......

Restart the PC and keep tapping the F8 during the bootup prior to the W98 splash screen. You should have a bootmenu with 6 options appear. Select the option for "Command Prompt Only". Then type in Edit c:\windows\system.ini and press enter

Change Shell=Explorer.exe to Shell=Winfile.exe

Now press the ALT key and then use the down arrow to highlight "Save" and press enter. Now restart the PC.

If it boots to FileManager click on File>Run and key in

control appwiz.cpl

Press enter

Now scroll down and locate "Microsoft Internet Explorer and Internet Tools" and double left click on it. Select "Restore Previous Windows Config" from the menu and follow the prompts to restore IE to a prior version.

When the PC restarts, boot back to the Command Prompt again like you did earlier. Then Edit c:\windows\system.ini and change the Shell=Winfile.exe back to Shell=Explorer.exe and save the changes.

Now restart the PC and let it boot into Windows.

Let us know what happens...

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
  4. sweetcheekies

Okay i get to the command prompt part .. type in c:\windsows\system.ini hit enter and get bad command message

now what?

sweet

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You may have mistyped if your last post is any example :D

But is is correct that you can start in safe mode? If so you don't need to get to Add/Remove programs by that route. Just open the Control Panel and get it from there. Then follow Bryan's instructions for returning to your previous IE configuration.

6. Rockn

Rockn

You need to enter Edit C:\windows\system.ini

7. sweetcheekies

what do u mean if my last post is any example which one are u reffering to? and if u checked the link to the other thread u would see that I cant get into control panel.. not at all in any setting. safe mode or not i still get the same errors.. sorry if i sound snippy but I am at wits end with this

sweet

8. sweetcheekies

OOPS sorry my bad.. i didnt see the edit thing.. will be back going to retry lol Its been a long day :)

sweet

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Don't mean to upset you, but the bad command error was probably due to mispelling. It wasn't clear what you were trying to do in safe mode.

You can also try start>run>control appwiz.cpl

Rockn's command line is correct. You can also do it this way, entaering each line:

cd windows
    edit system.ini

10. sweetcheekies

Okay well i did what Bryan said and got to the scroll down to internet explorer and restore but then i get a error message "rundll error in setupwbv.dll missing entry ie6 maintenance" any ideas now?

again sorry been a long day and was trying to do 10 things at once , i wasnt watching what i read or typed.

i cant do the start/run anything.. as soon as i click on anything i get the explorer error. i have to go through dos mode to get anywhere.

sweet

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

You are on another computer with internet access. Download IE 6 to disk. Copy it to CD if you have a CD writer, and I hope you do. Get to Windows on your other computer using the winfile shell and see if you can reinstall IE 6.

To download to disk and not install is great.
    Download Setup. Click on Setup
    Choose install Minimal or customize your Browser click next. Choose the components you want to install.
    Hit the Advanced Button Check the Download only box. Press OK Click next

Sorry. I had said get to safe mode. But that won't work. To install IE6 I forgot that you need to have a conection to the internet. IE6 has to be installed in Windows.

Try the winfile shell and see if you can get into Windows.

12. sweetcheekies

okay did that.. and i get to click on customize or whichever in the install wizard but then i get the error "ie6wzd invalid page fault in module <unknonw> at 0000:0045767e

any idea what that is? i am going to look around too :)
    thanks for everyones help its greatly appreciated.

sweet

13. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

You may have to use a utility like Ieradicator to remove IE from your system. Then do an overinstall of Windows. Reinstall IE 5.5 or whichever version you like. Try IEradicator and see if it helps. http://www.98lite.net/ieradicator.html

EDIT: I just checkedand this download is small. A zip file which will fit on floppy.
    You'll need Winzip tro open it. If you don't have it download and copy it to floppy. then install in safe mode.
    www.winzip.com

14. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    What happens if you do this from a Run line

control appwiz.cpl

Scroll down and locate "Microsoft Internet Explorer and Internet Tools" and double left click on it. But this time when prompted, select "Add a Component". Then when prompted select "Internet Explorer Web Browser".

15. sweetcheekies

when i type in contorl appwiz.cpl i get the add remove program thing however.. as soon as i click on microsoft internet explorer 6 and then click on add\remove i get the error message "IE6wzd caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown> at 0000:00445767e

sweet

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice