1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) URGENT! CD Rom and CDR both failed!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Gram123, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

I just turned on my PC and tried to run a CD, and it gave me this error msg:

d:\ refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the internet on your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location
    This is the same for drive e:

Under Device Manager, both drives have the black exclamation mark in a yellow circle.
    Under Properties, both say:
    Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
    Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

The Troubleshooter does not help!

The CD Rom drive (d: ) is an Atapi 50X CDROM.
    The CDR drive (e: ) is a LG CD-RW CED-8080B.
    Both say they are using driver version 5.1.2535.0.
    I am on Windows XP Home, and the drives both worked (for playing CDs) after the update. I attempted to install Nero 5.5.3.2 the other day in order to use the CDR, but it didn't work, so I uninstalled it. However, the CD drives still worked after the uninstallation.

The Hardware Update cannot find an updated driver (yeah, cos they're all on CDs!!).
    I tried uninstalling the drives. After restarting, the PC automatically finds the CD drives, but the error msg remains.

Under CD ROMs in System Information, there are no details listed at all.

I can't find drivers for download for either drive at present, and am desperate to get these damn things working a.s.a.p.

I don't know how the problem occurred. I'm pretty sure no one has deleted any files from the PC, and using the Norton UnErase Wizard found nothing of use.

Any help, the sooner the better, is greatly appreciated.

Gram

2. ian.t

ian.t

Firstly, have you just installed a new cd-r and/or cd drive ?

3. slipe

slipe

Assuming you didn’t just install a device and decided it wasn’t worth mentioning:

Neither device has a separate driver so you can stop looking. Windows loads them.

Is there any mark or message associated with your IDE controllers. They are under Hard Disc Controllers in device manager. Check your secondary IDE.

Go to device manager and remove both devices. Reboot. If both devices are still bad, remove the SECONDARY IDE controller and reboot.

4. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Ian - no, I've had these drives since I got the PC.

Slipe - Under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, there are:

Primary IDE channel
    Secondary IDE channel
    SiS PCI IDE Controller

None of these have the error mark.
    Should I remove them anyway?

Gram

5. slipe

slipe

Have you removed the two CD drives and rebooted? If you have with no improvement I would remove ONLY the SECONDARY IDE controller and reboot.

6. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Earlier I tried removing 1 CD drive at a time and rebooting.
    This time, I followed your instructions and uninstalled both - same result.

I uninstalled the secondary IDE controller and rebooted.
    It reinstalled, but the error marks remain next to the CD drives.

Gram

7. ian.t

ian.t

8. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Problem solved.
    Thanks Ian. It wasn't Adaptec, it was Nero causing the problem. I removed the registry key and rebooted and my drives reappeared.

I'm going to attempt to reinstall Nero, so I'll keep that link handy.

Cheers!

Gram

9. suzi

suzi

Patsrtat47 - I'm thinking you should start a new thread instead of tagging on one that's been solved already. You will get more replies that way :D

When you start a new thead - please describe your problem with more detail. What kind of cd's are you trying to burn? Data, music, mixed media? Or are you copying a cd?

What error messages are you getting? What kind of burner do you have? When did the problem start?

That will help us to help you more. ;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice