1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}USB port apparently not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Susan Harris, Dec 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Susan Harris

Susan Harris Thread Starter

My CyberMax computer came with Windows 95 installed. I upgraded to Windows 98 and have 64 MB memory. I recently got a HP 315 digital camera. I have installed the hpphotosmart software. Although everything shows my USB drivers are working, the HP315 is not recognized in Plug and Play and pc does not show up on the camera when it is connected to the USB port and turned on. I have looked to see if anything is attached to the USB port in the pc. It is. What else can I do to activate the connection?

2. brianF

brianF

Have you entered bios setup on your computer and enabled usb support.

Either there will be a setting to disable or enable usb or an setting to assign irq to usb

3. ratchet

ratchet

Susan,
    I'M not sure how your software works but....
    Did you plug in camera/ turn it on/ open my computer/ look for F or removable disk?
    check back later

4. Susan Harris

Ratchet: When I opened my computer there was no F or removable disk.

brianF: I do not know how to enter bios setup, but I'll try to find out. I'd love to see an enable command!

When I look at system information it says I have a usb and a usb hub.

When I go through control panel it assures me they are there and functional.

I do feel it is ignorance keeping me from connecting.brianF:

5. brianF

brianF

6. brianF

brianF

User emailed that the usb port is enabled in bios,

Try the fixed in the hp link above, then post back

I would try the suggestion to completely remove usb in device manager, reboot and let windows reinstall

7. brianF

brianF

User emailed that none of the fixes at hp worked, even uninstalling and reinstalling

Have you tried unplugging the camera, reboot, install the software, shutdown, plug the camera in, startup

8. bigh47

bigh47

Susan hi
    I have been told that although USB should work with W95 and upgraded W98 that a lot of devices wont actually work.
    You have to install W98 full edition. This may be the case with a web cam.
    I would like to know if this is true as I am trying to get a printer working on my W95 lap top at work.
    Happy New Year.

Howard. :)

9. brianF

brianF

I don't think it matters if win98 is upgrade or full version, if in doubt, go to the windows update page and download the latest fixes

10. Susan Harris

I do appreciate all the help I have gotten on this issue. The truth is, as we examined the usb unit installed in the pc we discovered that it was not inserted properly. As we unplugged it and replugged it appropriately, suddenly everything worked as it should!

Again I thank those who responded to my search for resolution!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice