(Resolved) Video Driver for a dell XPST700R

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lightnb

A friend of mine has a dell XPST700R computer, with a E770 Monitor.

In display properties, It only allows 16 colors at a 640 resolution.

I assume this is because the correct graphic card drivers are not installed.

The display driver that windows finds is a Generic PCI graphics card.

How can I determine what type of card it is, if windows continues to detect it as a generic card?

Does anyone know what kind of cards these systems shipped with?

Nick M. RAhl

Nick
The easiest way to locate the proper drivers is to locate the service tag number and here is a webpage that explains where.
Then Enter the Service tag number in step 1 and step 2 OS, 3 Language, and 4 Video Drivers.

That should give you the proper driver set.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Opps I see Jedi beat slow Davey tonight!:D

lightnb

Thanks guys.

I'm going over to her house this weekend to look at it. It's really hard to do over the phone... especially when the person on the other end is computer illiterate.

I'll keep you posted,

Nick M. RAhl

lightnb

Got it working...

Windows kept detecting a generic PCI graphics card.

When I opened the case, I found that it was an AGP Radeon Rage Pro 128 (windoze wasn't even close), but I guess that's windoze 98 for you...

I went to ATI's site and downloaded the proper drivers.

Windoze gave me it's "This is not the right driver, if you install it, your computer will melt, and you will have seven years of bad luck. Do you wish to continue anyway?" message.

I said "OK.", and when I restarted (gotta love 98: ), all of the color and resolutions were back.

So the moral of the story is:

"Windoze is stupid and not to be trusted." (lol)

Thanks for your help,

NMR

lightnb
Is it possible the driver you needed was unsigned and Windows rejected it.

Glad all is well now and will consider matter resolved.

Dave

Signing is done by microsoft after they have approved the driver for use.

Dave

After they proudly put their stamp of "approval" - which of course, does NOT guarrentee that the driver will work anyways...

Especially *WHEN* Windows XP complains about the Windows Drivers THAT are *SIGNED*!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online