1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved)"Virtual Memory Management" Problem (a very unusual problem, so I've heard)

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Cpambo, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cpambo

Cpambo Thread Starter

Hi, I must confess that I don't know much about computers or about RAM, but I will tell you my problem. Recently I decided to get a RAM upgrade...and it just so happened that the RAM was compatible and everything worked out fine...HOWEVER, I forgot to change the virtual memory settings on my computer.

I loaded a program and set the program's hash table to a level higher than the amount of virtual memory I originally had on my computer (before the upgrade). To make a long story short, the screen froze (went blue) and then Windows XP Professional informed me that it was altering the virtual memory settings for me. Then everything went back to normal and I went back to the program. I thought all was fixed.

Next time I open the program, the program begins to access all the RAM and virtual memory on my computer (the hash table was well over 1 gigabyte)...and I could do nothing to stop it. The program, which normally takes 5 seconds to load, now takes 5 minutes, and it keeps crashing because it's using up all the memory. I believe this kind of program is called a "memory leaker." Anyway, I altered the memory settings again (now the virtual memory i have is the amount "suggested" by the operating system, but the problem persists. I tried deleting the program and then reloading it onto my computer, but that doesn't change anything.

I need some advice here. Is it the program that is at fault? Is it the operating system? Is it the virtual memory settings on my computer? Or is it something else entirely? Could it be a virus?

Also, I have a dictionary on my computer and when I try to load it, it says, "the program requires at least 3 megabytes of virtual free memory to run," and I have much more free memory than that. Is my free memory being misallocated now? Please help! :)

Chris

2. $teve

$teve

personally i would ditch the program and set the VM manually.
    how much ram have you now...........and how much did you have before the upgrade?

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) what operating system are you using?

2) what is the name of the program?

3) how much memory did you have before and after the upgrade?

4. pgriffet

pgriffet

5. Cpambo

Cpambo Thread Starter

I'm glad to say that I solved the problem myself. You see, I had the computer arbitrarily set the virtual memory allocation for me, and it had done so incorrectly. Now the virtual memory is from 768 to 1500...and it works perfectly. Prior to that, it was set: 1100 to 1100. That's why it wasn't working.

6. pgriffet

pgriffet

Nice.

BTW, take a look a the link I've provided, it's a very good explanation about V Memory.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice