1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] virus-backdoor trojan

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by lord_8383, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lord_8383

lord_8383 Thread Starter

I have 3 backdoor trojan virus on my ME System in quarantine and I would like to know how to get rid of these nasty things. I think I need the files. the 3 are: OLDER,exe Location:, windows #2 Explorer.exe Location:, C;windows\explorer\ and, #3 explorer[1].exe location: c:windows\tempory. Please make the explanation simple as I am a novice and an old one at that. Thanks in advance. ( I have Norton Anti Virus and Zone Alarm installed now. )

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

run the Norton antivirus & let it locate & hopefully quarintine the trojans

how did you find out you had them?

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

4. lord_8383

lord_8383 Thread Starter

Hello Savvylady and Rollin'Rog:

Thanks for your replys: Savvylady: I got the three back door virus by running Norotn Anti-Virus Progrom. ( Please see my original post) ( Named them them, that is) Rolling'Rog: I don't understand how I can be operating Windows Exployer with them guys in quarantine either. Should I delete them ? What happens then? Will My system work? I understand I'm limited in words to express my frustration and am confident that you two will see me through this mess. Thanks to both of you. Jim

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Your file location:

#2 Explorer.exe Location:, C;windows\explorer\

seems to indicate there is a FOLDER explorer in the Windows directory with an infected explorer.exe within it.

If this is the case AND there is an uninfected copy of explorer.exe in c:\windows

then it is ok to delete the infected one. But you should verify that you have a copy of Explorer.exe (approx 168kb) in C:\windows that is not quarantined or infected.

You can do a Search (Find) for all copies of explorer.exe and verify which is which.

7. lord_8383

lord_8383 Thread Starter

to: Savvylady and Rollin'Rog:

I have your posts and am grateful for your interest in my problem and, your continued interest. Let me see if I can digest your ansers and understand what to do.

8. lord_8383

lord_8383 Thread Starter

To Savvylady and Rollin'Rog:

I very much appreciate your continued interest in my problem and your answers to my inquires. Some of your answers are over my head and I would like overnight to try Rollin'Rog's suggestion on i.d.'g the files in search. By the way, Rog. I have done a system restore and that worked great but I want the darn things off my machine. By the way, I will not make the mistake again of downloading a program without scanning it.
    I think this is a terriff forum and you guys are great!
    With thanks again, Jim.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you have done a system restore then the remaining infected files can be deleted without worry. They would not be files Windows is using or needs. Like you, I was only puzzled by that one copy of explorer.exe -- but it can't be the one which is in use.

10. lord_8383

lord_8383 Thread Starter

Rollin Rog:
    With ref. to my virus problem, I used a little bit of "uncommon sense" and figured if they were in quarantine they sure weren't doing me any good there. I went to The Norton Anti-virus program and deleted all of them. I'll let you know if the roof caves in. Thanks again. Jim

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice