1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] virus infection

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by tmd65, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tmd65

tmd65 Thread Starter

my norton antivirus has found viruses and put 5 files in quarantine,when i try to repair it says could not repair them. what to do?

2. Bruce319

Bruce319

You can delete the virus manually in the registry, or tell us the name of the viruses so we can point you to the correct locations for deletion or give you a tool fix.

3. tmd65

tmd65 Thread Starter

registry?virus names are trojan horse,trojan startpage,js.exception.ex.....and the other says unknown and the file name is blocksender[3].com

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

They should all be deleted, not repaired. If they cannot be deleted, we need to know the locations. They may be in a restore archive if you have WinME or in the Temporary Internet Cache.

5. tmd65

tmd65 Thread Starter

i have win98

6. tmd65

tmd65 Thread Starter

when i restart message shows cannot find the file 'msinfo.exe'(or one of its components). make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.then i click okanother message appears with desktop written in top left corner and states could not load or run 'msinfo.exe' specified in the win.ini file .make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the win.ini file. so i do?

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It should be a quick fix. Just give us a copy/paste of a HijackThis Scanlog following directions here and we will show you how to resolve the error message:

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

The Windows system information utility is named msinfo32.exe not msinfo.exe.

The file being referred to as "missing" was a viral file quarantined or deleted by your antivirus program. We just need to remove startup entry that is calling it.

8. tmd65

tmd65 Thread Starter

i cant seem to download hijackthis

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What happens when you right click on this link and select "save target as"?

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip?

An alternate way to fix the problem (which doesn't address why you can't download HijackThis), is to go to Start, Run and enter:

win.ini

It will open as a Notepad text file.

Look for lines beginning

run=
    load=

Remove any text after the "=" and close the file and save the changes.

10. tmd65

tmd65 Thread Starter

after run= ithad something and i got rid of it and no more message when start up thanks that was so easy you da man

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Good to hear and I will mark this "resolved". But if you are still having problems downloading HijackThis or other files, let us know and we will try to see what the problem is there.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169087

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice