1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Volume control missing from systray

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rds33, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rds33

rds33 Thread Starter

Somehow I've lost the volume control (the little yellow speaker) from my systray.

I went to MS Help (F1) and it says the volume control is not installed on my system.

Yep, I accidentally removed a lot of stuff last week. I've been restoring it one by one from Veritas Backup Exec CD's. A few minutes ago I restored something called "vcmui.exe" into C:\WINDOWS because the name made it look like a good candidate.

But, that wasn't it.

Please, how do I get my yellow speaker volume control back (and all the other controls that appear with a double-click on that icon)?

-rds33

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Go to start>settings>control panel>multimedia>there is a box to check for show volume control at the bottom.

The fewer icons in the systray you have the better. You can always launch from the start menu. You can also right click the taskbar, choose toolbars and you can add items to the quick launch. Most items will appear in the systray when you launch them or set them to start at start up. You can choose the ones you want from start>run>type msconfig>start tab.

3. rds33

rds33 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, Doyce]. I wish the solution were that simple. When I click on the "Show volume control..." box I get a system error message. See attachment.

The problem is the volume control is not installed on my computer.

Last week I accidentally removed a lot of "stuff" while trying to use WINDOWS setup under Add/Remove programs. Stuff like System Monitor, Freecell, etc. Apparently I also removed the Volume Control.

Now I need to reinstall it. How do I do that?

I have backup CD's, but I don't know what the Volume Control is called. I've searched my backup files, but I don't know what to look for.

What's Volume Control called on your PC? That would help me. At least I'd know what to look for.

-rds33

Attached Files:

• e1.png
      e1.png
      File size:
      3.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Rikku

Rikku

Trying going into your control panel and clicking on Add/Remove Programs.

Under Windows Components there's multimedia stuff you can try and reinstall there....

5. rds33

rds33 Thread Starter

YES!

Problem solved. I, indeed, went to Add/Remove | Windows setup | Multimedia | Details | Volume Control ... inserted my Win98se disk and my volume control is back [after also checking the "Show volume control..." box in the Multimedia control panel icon].

Now I'm a happy camper, once again.

Thanks for your help!

-rds33

[​IMG]

6. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Glad to hear it. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice