1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Resolved} W98 not shutting down properly

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by quiz, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. quiz

quiz Thread Starter

I have win98 second edition and after I downloaded IE6 on 8th December from the winupdate site, after online sessions and after clicking shutdown, the computer just stuck on windows is shutting down, but it didn't.
    It had not had this before, and it was still closing normally when I used the computer offline. It also continued to open normally.

After searches and adding some patches it still happened. It was o.k. once only just after I added the IE6 patch which came out 13th Dec.

Deleting the temporary internet files did not work.

By trial and error I tried each program mentioned when you press the 'alt, control delete' box and can now close win normally if I manually end the tasks of: Ndetect, Msmsgs, InstantAccess, Qttask, Vivid and Vetmsg9x
    I got rid of two extra startup type programs that I also had to manually end this way.

I can leave on explorer, systray, vettray, 4dmain, realplay, Rnaap and loadqm and close normally.

Was curious as to any reasons for this and if there was anything I could do to have it close instantly as it used to.

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Go to start>run>type msconfig>uncheck the ones you mentioned unchecking with ctrl-alt-del>restart. Add one back until you narrow down the problem program.

Also click the link by my name for spyware and download, install, run and delete what it finds. Get aaw.exe.

3. quiz

quiz Thread Starter

Doyce maybe you are a genius?!

When I first read your post I thought but that is what I did - by at the end of the online session manually ending each task shown in alt/ctrl/del box leaving behind only one extra, so coming up with the programs mentioned.

Anyway I unchecked them all like you said and added the adaware program and deleted files.

Using the msconfig run - checking back one at a time, I ended up with only one program which wouldn't allow win98 to close - Instant Access which is part of the textbridge classic program. It doesn't affect the shutdown still if offline.

4. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Cool :cool:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice