1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) Weird system behavior since changing users

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by magus1011, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magus1011

magus1011 Thread Starter

My system has started to act strange ever since I changed my user. A program I was installing (Cygwin with X) was unhappy with spaces in my user name so I went to CP|Users, created a new user with just the space deleted (I copied all the settings) and then deleted my old user. Since then settings I apply don't stick.

The most annoying one is that no matter what I try my M$IE 6.0 won't stop opening either maximized if I set the QuickLaunch Shortcut to that or very tiny in the bottom right of my screen when set to normal window, or tiny again when I start it with the desktop icon. I've tried setting the above shortcut to maximized, then manually resizing the window, then closing it, then restarting it. It opens maximized but goes back to the size I set it to when I click the minimize button on the title bar. On the next restart it maximizes and after clicking minimize on the title bar reverts to being a small window in the bottom right corner of my screen.

I have also noticed that my Windoze Exploder hangs from time to time and that M$IE will request to send error reports to Mickey$oft also at unpredictable intervals. When these occur and I do a Start|Shutdown|Restart a program with no name shows up as not being able to be shut down, do I want to Wait, End Task or Cancel. I choose end task and have to end task it several times before it finally exits. Then, to add insult to injury, it hangs at the Shutdown screen forever, well not quite forever, the longest was eight hours and fourty minutes while I slept.

Another annoyance is that I have Tweak UI 1.3 set to clear the programs run (Start|Run) after every reboot and that's not happening anymore either but it does do the automatic logon.

I also installed Windoze Policy Editor since that was touted to me by a Linux system admin as being the solution to my problem short of installing some variant of Unix. I'd love to install Linix when they have the "it doesn't print on a dot matrix printer" problem fixed and give it more tools. The former won't ever happen because of copyright problems, the latter will take years. :mad:

Well any help for my Windoze problem? I don't have a clue where to look to find a solution, even that would help.

I've attached a copy of the output from StartList in the hopes that will help.

--
    Regards,
    Magus

2. magus1011

magus1011 Thread Starter

Now I know I'm suffering from old timers. I forgot to set All users use the same settings in the Password panelette.:eek:

--
    Regards,
    Magus.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice