[Resolved] Win 98/ Windows update crash

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rhettman5.1

A friend recently upgraded her PC from windows 95 to 98se.
Its a HP 300MHz. After the upgrade(a few weeks) she decided to get all the Critical updates from Microsoft, she did so and installed.

Upon first reboot, the PC would boot to windows but she couldn't access O/E or INTERNET explorer.So she rebooted,

Now the PC hangs at the HP splash screen, she gets a plug and play message, and a flashing cursor, but no progress from there,and no C prompt

I tried to get her to start to a command prompt, hoping to do a restore, but it still gets the plug and play message and nothing else!

The PC will start in safe-mode, I had her go to device manager and she said there were no conflicts. I am out of ideas, new one on me, anyone have any Ideas ?? I am about 35 miles from her location , so this is a phone fix (for now anyway)...Rhett

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
Was she running an anti-virus prog when she updated? I was when I tried that and it gives you a few seconds to accept registry changes on boot up, if you miss it or say no it crashes the OS.

I think what we had to do was go into DOS and rename win to win old and re-install w/o NAV. And I don't mean just disabled, its the scan it does after it restarts that does it I think.

Good Luck
John

Rhettman5.1

We can't even get to dos...funny, Windows loaded once, but not now !...Rhett

bassetman

You can't even get to the C drive using a boot disk?:eek:

Rhettman5.1

Haven't tried a boot disc, may have to make a house call, I would bet she doesn't have a boot disc tho !... I better start making a list, because it's the only PC she has, so no internet help when i get there :( ...Rhett

bassetman

If you have Win 98 you can use your boot disk

Rhettman5.1

but not today, she uses AVG antivirus, no mention of it when she starts the PC, could you list the order in which I should proceed when I get there ?

If I could get a C prompt I would try a snanreg /restore, but not sure that will fix it at this point..Rhett

bassetman

Rhettman5.1, I'm not sure I am the best person to take you down this path.
I talked to a M$ engineer by accident, and she told me that all upgrades were capable of full installs.
The trick is proving you had a prior install of Winders.
If you have a clean HD at present, the AV should not be a problem.

I would try a xxcopy of all files to the HD and install from there.

You can get a copy of the prog from www.xxcopy.com

Hope someone else jumps in to help!

John

Hi Rhett :)
Boot with the 98 bootdisk. At the menu, pick "start without CD rom support". This will bring you to the A:> prompt. Type in ....

C:
CD WINDOWS\COMMAND
SCANREG /RESTORE
(hitting enter after each line)

Pick a restore date, but not the oldest. That one will fail to restore.

Hope this helps.

Debe

Rhettman5.1

She had the bootdisc, went back to a previous reg back-up and restored, but...the pc will still not boot, she gets the HP splash screen, then a message that windows 98 is now starting your ms-dos-based program.

plug and play for ms dos windows configuration manager-R1.44

then nothing else ...just sits there...Rhett

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Can you have her try a step by step to see what's loading.....you may have to have her rename the config.sys and the autoexec.bat files to .old extensions......

Rhettman5.1

who you're talking to here !:confused: I need a little more direction than that:) I assume she can access this from the boot-up disc also ?? ... Rhett

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Sorry my dear, you are just so good in the Mill........and all...... ;)

Yes, she can get there with the boot floppy. It almost sounds like she has something loading from either of those two files......

First have her take a look at them to see what they contain. She can do that by typing at the a: prompt.....

c:
and then enter

That will get her to a c: prompt, from there she can type:

edit autoexec.bat
and press enter (there is a space after the t in edit)
and a blue screen should come up telling her what is there......have her write it down....do the same thing for config.sys.....

once we know what is loading there, we can be sure of what, if anything, may be the cause of the dos message.

Rhettman5.1

she is writing down the info, and will call me back, I was just wondering if the AVG boot scan could be the problem, as it is the first thing that runs (on my machine) after the splash screen...will wait untill I hear from her and post back.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Since you said it will start in safemode.....and BTW, in safemode, device manager won't show any conflicts, because most of the devices aren't loading........

but I think the virus scanner would still be loading thru the config.sys and/or autoexec.bat files in any event........perhaps she can try a step by step confirmation (instead of choosing safe mode) and say yes to things one by one, say no if there is a virus program load option.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online