1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Resolved} - Win2K DDNS not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SimonJester, Apr 3, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SimonJester

SimonJester Thread Starter

Hey all,

I'm just setting up a new Win2K server, and am stumped. I installed DHCP and DNS server on the same machine, Active Directory is in native mode, and the zones are set to 'Allow Dynamic Updates'.

I'm now getting a recurring (@ every two hours) error in the event log saying:

"The DNS Server for this DC does not support dynamic DNS. Add the DNS records from the file '%SystemRoot%\System32\Config\Netlogon.dns' to the DNS Server serving the domain referenced in that file."

Event ID is 5773.

The server is connected to a hub that has an NT 4.0 sp6a PDC on it, but it is set up as a Domain Controller for a different domain than the one the NT4 server is serving.

Anybody know why DDNS isn't working here?

Thanks

Simon

2. Sponsor

3. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Hmmm... I dont think it should be in native mode, but that is more of a gut feel, then actual knowledge.

Does the error message not give you a web site to go to, or any other clue? I know there is a "Copy to Clipboard" button. Can you use that and paste the actual full error message here... I have been looking up and down technet and I have gotten no hits on the phrase you supplied.

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

4. SimonJester

Hi Reuel,

The message I provided is the exact message I am getting in the event log. There is no reference to a website, or any other suggestion for fixing the problem. I, too, searched high and low on technet and elsewhere before posting my problem.

What is your reasoning as to why it shouldn't be in native mode? The benefits of Native Mode is one of the main reasons to upgrade to Windows 2000, and nothing I have read about DDNS suggests that it can't be used when Active Directory is in native mode.

I sure do appreciate your help..

Thanks!

Simon

5. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Ok, I have only played with Win2K in a lab environment, and the one thing my instructor and I came to the conclusion about, was that while native Mode was a very powerful and fast way to navigate around a network/domain, it should only be implemented when EVERY machine in the domain, and on the network is on Win2K.

We had problems with Win95 machines accessing Terminal Servers and NT4 does not even have an Active Directory plug-in.

Now, I think that your domain that is in native Mode is all Win2K, its just that an NT server on the network (but not on the domain) is still NT4. While, logically, that should have no effect on your Win2K domain, it may be the problem. If it is running as a DNS server in itself, or is connected to a different DNS server, the DDNS packets may still be going to this server...

Unfortunately, I have not got enough experience on Win2K to give good advice here...

Sorry

------------------
    Reuel Miller

[email protected]

6. SimonJester

Hi Reuel,

Well, I finally figured it out - partially, at least ... it was one of those 'well, dummy, you should have seen that right away' things.

You see, I was mis-reading the message. Since the Win2K server is on a network, and I had entered the DNS servers for our ISP manually (so that it can access the internet through our Router), it was THE ISP DNS servers that didn't support Dynamic updates that was generating this error message.

Upon re-reading the original error message, note that it says 'The DNS Server FOR THIS DC...'. Well, this DC IS the DNS Server - or will be - for our LAN, but it was talking about the DNS Servers I had entered for access to our local ISP.

I discovered this quite by accident when, yesterday, our internet access (DSL) went down. I immediately saw that the error message had changed to:

"Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records failed because no DNS servers are available."

So, the DNS Server itself (for our LAN) is working fine. The problem is that it is trying to perform dynamic updates with the ISP DNS servers as well.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to properly set DNS server up so that it ignores, or rather doesn't try to perform dynamic updates with the DNS servers I have manually added to the LAN connection in TCP/IP propeties.

I haven't had time to check it out yet today, but do you know how to do this off the top of your head?

Thanks again for this site - and for giving so much of your time to keeping it going.

Simon

7. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

OK, the way I remember it, you set all your workstations etc to use your own DNS server, you set your own DNS server to use itself, and in the DNS server MMC snap-in, there is a section for where the DNS server must look when it can not resolve a domain name, and this is where you add your ISP's DNS server IPs.

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller

[email protected]

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/28528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice