1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}win98 - no sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BiggerBen, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BiggerBen

BiggerBen Thread Starter

hello. i recently bought a new hard drive to put in my old computer. its all set up and working fine, but now I am unable to get the sound working again. device manager shows that the device is installed fine, and I don't have any IRQ conflicts (i checked)...so what is up with my system? any ideas?

:confused:

2. brianF

brianF

did you replace the original hard drive with the new, is it the boot drive now. ??

Have you tried reinstalling the sound card drivers

3. BiggerBen

BiggerBen Thread Starter

well, i did have both drives in the computer at once, and booted into the old one (with another copy of the OS on the new one) because i needed to swap some files

i just tried reseating the card, and booting a couple of times but i still get nothing. when i put the card back in, windows reinstalled the card and didn't ask me for any drivers or anything.

about the drivers...i don't have (aka lost ;)) the cd with my sound card drivers, so i downloaded an .exe from the creative website (my card is a soundblaster audigy). it installed all the drivers and stuff for me.

now, i 'm getting a picture of a speaker in the taskbar with a red x over it, although device manager tells me everything is A-OK....its a stumper :(

4. brianF

brianF

I would try going to add remove programs, remove the driver install if it's in there
    Then go to device manager, delete the sound card
    Reboot in safe mode, check device manager again, any sound card showing up delete it,
    Then reboot and reinstall the sound card with the creative drivers

Hope this helps

You also may want to check the settings in control panel, multimedia or sound applet, make sure the right card is selected

5. BiggerBen

BiggerBen Thread Starter

hmmm, there is no sound card driver appearing in the "add/remove programs" list...

however, every time that I try to remove the sound card with device manager, it comes back on reboot and automatically reinstalls, using an old copy of the drivers (i'm guessing)

problem is that i have no idea where the drivers actually are, i had to install using an .exe because i lost my cd....:(

any other suggestions (btw what key was it again to boot into safe mode ?)?

6. brianF

brianF

You may also want to check you irq's to make sure it's not conflicting with something

go to start/run/type msinfo32 and press enter, left hand frame, choose hardware environment, irq's, you should see a list of irq usage in the right hand frame, make sure the sound card has an irq and it's not sharing

7. BiggerBen

BiggerBen Thread Starter

nope, tried that...no irq conflict :(

gah i hope i don't have to reformat and reinstall windows to fix this

8. brianF

brianF

What happens if you right click the speaker icon and choose open volume control. Make sure everything is set normal and muting is not selected

9. BiggerBen

BiggerBen Thread Starter

the speaker icon's got a big red X over it...and when I go into volume controls, i am unable to change anything (they just won't move). it tells me that it is using my sound card (SB Audigy) in the lower left hand corner, but thats about it...

:(

10. wedor

wedor

f8 lets you get to the menu for safe mode, press repeatedly while booting.

11. BiggerBen

BiggerBen Thread Starter

do you think it would be a good idea if i manually went through and deleted all of the driver files associated with the device? or would that have adverse effects on the rest of the machine?

12. brianF

brianF

remove it in device manager, reboot and cancel the windows installation if you can Then run the executable file to install the drivers and reboot.

if that doesn't work use the F8 key to boot in safe mode, install the drivers, and reboot

13. BiggerBen

BiggerBen Thread Starter

hmmm, nope

even after the safe mode trick, as soon as i booted into windows normally, it reinstalled the sound card all by itself, and didn't even give me the option to say NO...how rude

i'm out of ideas on this one........heh, and i had problems getting the sound to work the first time i booted this computer too...

14. brianF

brianF

sorry I am out of ideas, sound cards yuck.
    anyone else got an idea

15. BiggerBen

BiggerBen Thread Starter

wait, maybe there is hope! i was bored, and went "sound card driver disk hunting"...i was quite surprised when I found it after only about 5 minutes of looking...i installed everything, and now in the volume properties dialog box i see signals being processed by the sound card...but still no sound! nothing is muted! i'm close, i can feel it! but no sound :[

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/84653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice