1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Win98 startup error message

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by compnovice, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compnovice

compnovice Thread Starter

When I startup, or restart, my PC, I get this message after the windows startup screen:
    " Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.
    The Windows registry of SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device, but no longer exists.
    If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using it's uninstall or setup program.
    If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that aplication to replace the missing file.
    msmouse.vxd
    press any key to continue"

I press the "any" key :) , and my desktop loads fine. It does'nt seem to cause any problem now. I want to re-install that application to stop this message from appearing but I dont' know what to do next.
    This appeared after a tech-support guy nelped me with another problem.
    I run Win98/ PIII/ 512 RAM

Thank you for your consideration.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

It sounds as if software that runs a mouse was uninstalled incorrectly and the easiest, but not the only way, is to re-install that program. Usually your computers Mouse needs no software to run it but software does come with many pointing devices.

Cure Your Ills With the System File Checker
    Windows 98

With a Win98 install CD of the correct version in the drive

When you're having trouble with Windows 98--and who doesn't at some point--you might want to try a little-known utility called the System File Checker. Close all open programs and go to Run in the Start menu. Type sfc and click OK.
    Check the Scan For Altered Files radio button and click Start. SFC will look for files that have been corrupted. If it finds any, you can use it to extract clean versions of the files directly from your installation disk.

Or

To start System File Checker, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, click System Information, and then click System File Checker on the Tools menu.

Look here:

Know how to reliably backup the registry before starting any of the following! For instructions on backing up the registry reply to this.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;132008

3. brindle

brindle

4. walkeriam

walkeriam

Have you installed any HARDWARE or SOFTWARE just prior to this happening such as Norton, Network Interface Card ect...?

5. compnovice

compnovice Thread Starter

PROBLEM SOLVED!
    The post from Styxx helped by directing me to Microsoft Knowledge base artice-132008. I fixed it in 5 easy steps.
    Sorry it took so long to try it, but i thought i would have to edit my registry ( gasp! ). I didn't.
    Thanks again.

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Glad you fixed it. Make sure you got a firewall running either hardware or software - like free Sygate.

Good luck

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice