1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Windows Explorer pane grayed out

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tthulen, Nov 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tthulen

tthulen Thread Starter

I have just installed Windows 2000 server on a Dell Poweredge 2450, when entering windows explorer the lft pane is grayed out. I am running IE6 and have removed all security patches for windows to no avail.

Please Help !

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG, tthulen.

Run regedit and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}

With that key highlighted, click File (or Registry) > Export, name and save the key to the desktop.

With the .reg file on the desktop, Right click on it and rename it with a .txt extension

Now upload it here as an attachement so we can see what is there. There is a possible fix for this, but it may vary somewhat in Win2k

3. tthulen

tthulen Thread Starter

I finally contacted Microsoft and the problem was do to a corrupt install of IE6 even though it worked just fine, I had to run a command line utility

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance

which does a repair on IE6 and the problem was resolved.

I still don't understand how IE6 was related to the problem of Windows Explorer

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Glad you got it resolved and even provided us with a new method in the future. For ther record we've seen it many times before, and a registry patch probably would have done the same thing, providing I could verify that the relative file path was system32 for the shdocvw file rather than system (it would have been necessary to modify the posted patch).

http://forums.techguy.org/t59067/s.html

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/105180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice