1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Windows explorer problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by oldmike53, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldmike53

oldmike53 Thread Starter

On boot up all is fine until the computer finishes or tries to finish the bootup. I get a BIG hour glass in the task bar area. Pressing alt-control-delete and closinging the explorer sometimes clears up the problem. In the background only the systray and explorer are runing. rundl32 also shows up and all attempts to stop it are for naught. msconfig from run dosen't work. I have been told that there could be a software problem. :confused: Windows me has be reloaded times 3 this dosent help. tweking msconfig dosent help. Anyone out there have any advice.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi mike-----I had a similar problem on a machine once- a reinstall of Internet Explorer fixed it pretty well. it's hard to do if you cant boot- but: can you get into Safe Mode, through pressing down and holding the CTRL key at bootup? If so, you may be able to roll IE back to original version, that may still have errors, so: find the IE5setup.exe file in your C:\Program Files folder- it might reinstall. Another way would be to run the IE repair tool, that at least could tell you if Explorer is damaged beyond repair, or it can try and repair it. If you have ever upgraded IE, the entry for it will appear in Add/Remove Programs, and I believe the repair will run from Safe Mode. try it. Some CDs have copies of later versions of IE, but CD drive does not operate from Safe Mode, that might also work for you.

3. oldmike53

oldmike53 Thread Starter

Byteman,
    Thanks for your advice. Answers lead to more questions. I was under the impression that the IE and the explorer that shows up in the systray were different. Irregardless of my ignorance I will give it a shot. Will keep all posted. Thanks again for your support.

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

mike----All I know is my own computer had this problem, and Rollin Rog helped me with it....what I had to do was to edit the system.ini file back to winfile.exe instead of shell=explorer.exe---it's not an easy process, but I could not start Windows in any form....editing this file allows an older, lower shell called winfile.exe to run, it resembles Safe Mode+ win 3.1's file manager, just lists of files that can be run from command line like DOS with color....I had to also extract 3 or 4 files that were corrupted, not able to be repaired. Probably Rog has a link or directions he could provide for this method...it is a step by step, but it sure worked. He told me then that only a few had managed to use the process to fix the problem, so it's either dicey or hard....it sure took a while! That allowed me to also go online, get a new copy of IE 5.0, which was producing errors....probably winsock, related to worm infections. There were some DOS trojan removers used at one point.
    After the file extraction, repairs, etc and the 2.5 hour download of IE, things were much brighter. System booted normally after re-editing system.ini back to shell=Explorer.exe.
    If you have to use this method, there is some careful typing involved...editing those system files is tricky, especially when as I did, no mouse was available! Using the keyboard is possible, but very tedious work. All I knew is I had to do something, and could not get into Safe Mode or regular Windows and knew very little about DOS- at least using winfile is more user friendly.
    I do still have the printouts I made of Rog's post....and I know I could find it in a Search of my own posts, let me know if you want a view of the thread.

EDIT---here is a link to a similar problem, with a brief explanation:

http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/52514.html

5. oldmike53

oldmike53 Thread Starter

Byteman,

thanks for the follow-up. Rundl32 and explorer are somehow showing up in the systray as a paired item. Adding MicroSoft wireless Base Station for the DSL connection is the suspected cause. The desktop items all work after bootup. System still busy with the BIG HOUR GLASS showing up on the taskbar when the mouse pointer is placed there. Activating a desktop icon, IE Netscape, My computer clears up the situation. If that does not free it up the taskbar / start/ quicklaunch/ systray not functioning.
    HELP

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

OldMike, give us a gander at what you've got running. Download, unzip and run the StartupList.exe program from the site below. Then copy/paste the results to a reply here:

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

I'm assuming that you are able to get on the web by hook or crook. If not, try this: go to start and run msconfig

On the general page clear the check for Startup Group and reboot. Now what happens? Can you connect and browse. You will need to re-enable that startup group for those programs to be shown in the StartupList that I want you to post.

7. oldmike53

oldmike53 Thread Starter

Hi Rog,
    Here is the file hope it helps. Baffled here.

Attached Files:

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Mike, go to Start>Run, enter: msconfig and click on the Startup Tab. Is there anything there but these two files and statemgr?

NBTSTAS = C:\WINDOWS\NBTSTAS.EXE
    [email protected] = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\[email protected]

These appear to be the result of a Magistr virus infection.

Go to Start>Run and enter regedit

Now navigate to

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

>> With the RUN folder highlighted on the left, Right Click on and Delete the two above named entries.

Go back to msconfig and re-enable whatever unchecked entries may be there, then run and post another Startuplog.

Go to one of these sites and do an online virus scan. If you can't do it with startups enabled, disable them again.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/

http://housecall.antivirus.com/

9. oldmike53

oldmike53 Thread Starter

Rog,
    Thanks for the followup. I Did the REGEDIT. I found I have a RUN folder and a RUN- folder. The run- folder contains all items displayed by msconfig. the run folder contained just four items two of which you said to be deleted. will proceed with next step and repost. Thanks again. Regenv32 shows up every time I run msconfig. alt-cont-del endtask allows the config to be displayed.
    thanks again.
    oldmike

10. oldmike53

oldmike53 Thread Starter

Rog,
    Thanks for the followup. Attached is the Startup while my computer is otl. will run anti virus and follow other steps as you discribed. thanks.
    oldmike

Attached Files:

11. oldmike53

oldmike53 Thread Starter

rog,

Antivirus programs ran. Rundl32 and Explorer.exe infected. Deleter and will now reboot.

old mike

12. oldmike53

oldmike53 Thread Starter

Rog,

Thank-you !!!! She reboots nicely. No BIG HOUR GLASS. I'm not 100% clean with the virus stuff. Windows\System\Exshow.exe and Exshow95 have been hit but they are running. The other infected file is Windows\System\3dfx16v3.drv. Final task walk me through the delete process with these if you would please.

thank you

Oldmike53

virus report to long for this format. will trim 369 characters and resubmit.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Mike I think you can probably upload the virus report as an attachment.

I'm glad we are making progress. The infected files are evidently associated with your mouse software, very strange, is it working properly? I don't see them in the StartupList except as Running Processes, how are they getting there?

What happens if you ctrl-alt-del and end task them?

Program Name: Exshow95

Executable Name: EXSHOW95.exe

Required: User's choice

Comments: Support software for some of the Kensington mice. Provides access to extra features like those available with enhanced Logitech and MS devices

It will certainly help to know the name or names of the virus.

By the way, you are missing one important startup: ScanRegistry. Is that one of the Unchecked items? (and yes those will be in the RUN- folder of the registry). ScanRegistry should be checked. If it isn't there we can give you a registry patch to replace it.

14. oldmike53

oldmike53 Thread Starter

Rog,

My wife pinpointed the problem three days ago with the mouse, and was very pleased to have you mention it. My son gifted me with a touch pad mouse "kensington web racer" this summer and I guess I will have to delete the program and reinstall it. I trimed down the virus report and will attach it. Also amongst the casualities was ypager.exe. report will be attached to next msg.
    thanks

oldmike53

15. oldmike53

oldmike53 Thread Starter

here is the attachment

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice