1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] windows explorer's left pane is out in Windows Me

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Dr X, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dr X

Dr X Thread Starter

I'm using Windows Me and had to restore my system recently. When I use the "Windows explorer" the right large pane shows all of the files/folders, but the left pane is grey and won't show my folder hierarcy. I can go to the View menu, choose "explorer bar" and select anything BUT folders. The options: search, history, favorites, media all will give me something in the left pane - but the "folders" option will not give the hierarcy.

Any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate any advice someone could provide.

Thanks,

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Dr X
    Welcome to TSG!
    Download the Attached file to your desktop. Once on desktop right click to rename it from WinME Pane Blank.txt to WinME Pane Blank.reg and say ok to change the type.
    After renamed double click it and say OK to the merge.

Retry Windows explorer then and let us know the outcome.

Dave

Attached Files:

3. Dr X

Dr X Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, I have the file on my desktop, when I Double-click, it just opens the file in the notepad and doesn't ask to merge. It didn't seem to help.

Any other ideas?

:-(

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Dr X
    Right click to rename the file to make it an active program. Reread my prior post to see how to rename it.

Will wait your response.

Dave

PS: I highlighted the previous post area that is important.

5. Dr X

Dr X Thread Starter

My computer thinks I want to rename the file as
    "WinME Pane Blank.reg.txt" It won't let me change the file extension.

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Dr X
    Try this then Right click rename and highlight the whole name in the box and then overtype LeftPane.reg and hit enter.
    Does it let you do that now.

7. Dr X

Dr X Thread Starter

O.k. That allowed me to change the extension and it asked "are you sure you want to add 'file name' to the registry? I clicked o.k. and that didn't fix the issue. I also renamed it WinME Pane Blank.reg and added that to the registry, but that didn't help. I even restarted the computer but it still won't show folders in the left pane.

Thanks for your patience.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

9. Dr X

Dr X Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I have internet explorer version 5.50.4134.0600. Does this even apply if I'm talking about "Windows Explorer", or are they interrelated?

Thanks

10. Del

Del

I had exactly the same problem. Went to Start > Settings > Control Panel double click Add / Remove Programs, Highlight Internet Explorer and Internet Tools and click add remove.
    Then click Repair.
    Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer can both be repaired with this. Fixed it for me.

11. Dr X

Dr X Thread Starter

O.K. I tried your suggestion to repair the internet explorer through control panel - add/remove programs but that didn't seem to fix the problem after I restarted.

Am I missing a reg file?

12. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Please do a file search for Browseui.dll
    Right click on it and chose properties. Click the version tab.

Post the version number for the file.

13. Dr X

Dr X Thread Starter

My Browseui.dll file is version 6.0.2800.1106

14. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

There you go. You have the wrong version of Browseui.dll

If you have IE 5.5 that is the problem.

That Browseui.dll is for IE6 Sp1.

You said your IE version was 5.50.4134.0600

You either need to Upgrade IE or Downgrade.

15. Dr X

Dr X Thread Starter

I would like to thank Mosaic 1 for his insight to solving this problem and everyone else who contributed. The problem was solved when I downloaded "internet explorer 5.5" and reinstalled.
    Cudos!!

This whole mess started when I went to microsoft's update page and downloaded/installed their update package. When restarting the computer, it screwed up and I couldn't access the desktop. After troubleshooting with Dell service people, we had to restore the desktop (a VERY handy tool) and it was also imperitive (and a damn good thing) that I had previously made a boot disk on floppy (make one that can READ THE CD DRIVE!!!)

Cheers to everyone.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice