1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Windows Media Player 7.1 won't work

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Dr X, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dr X

Dr X Thread Starter

I recently reinstalled "Internet Explorer 5.5" on my windows ME and then reinstalled "Windows Media Player 7.1" (full installation).
    When I try to open WMP, it says "an internal application error has occurred". I've looked on the website for the full list of 'WMP error messages' and this was not one shown. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

2. monted

monted

what OS do you have?
    did you know WMP 9.0 was out?

3. Dr X

Dr X Thread Starter

I have "Windows ME Edition". I did get WMP9, but that had the same problem, so I reinstalled WMP7.1. I get the same error message.

4. Dr X

Dr X Thread Starter

I checked and my "RealPlayer Basic" works fine

5. monted

monted

is that all it says?
    no codes or ANYTHING?

if not, I'm stumped.

6. Dr X

Dr X Thread Starter

That's all it says - no codes!

7. monted

monted

I don't really know what to do. Maybe someone with more knowledge will reply.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It sounds like there may still be some file version conflicts on the system. Unfortunately we don't know which one. Try running the IE Repair Tool again and see if it turns up anything. Did the problem exist before the reinstall of IE 5.5?

9. Dr X

Dr X Thread Starter

Orgininally, I had IE 5.5, downloaded Windows Media Player 9 and it worked great. I later downloaded "updates" from Microsoft, it must have tried to put IE6 on my system and all hell broke loose when I tried to restart. Eventually, I got my system up and running, reinstalled IE5.5 and it works fine. Some programs (Windows Media Player 9) got mucked up too. I reinstalled Windows Media Player 7.1 (full installation) and I get the error message "an internal application error has occurred" This message came from WMP9 as well.

I tried to repair IE5.5 from Control Panel-add/remove program-IE5.5-repair and it asks if I want to repair "INTERNET EXPLORER 6". I tried this and restarted. It did not fix the problem. Does my computer think I have both versions of Internet explorer?

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

My guess is that it is inconsequential if the Repair Tool ran and didn't report any errors -- which would mean IE's files are at least 5.5 or greater. But it does sound like there was a failed attempt to install IE 6 and some updated files may remain. You might click on Help > "about IE" and see what it says there for version info.

How about going for Media Player 9 again if you did not actually remove and reinstall it after going back to IE 5.5?

And just to mention this, since I've seen it as a cause of Media player errors, is the system date reasonably correct? I don't think you'd be able to set cookies here, if it wasn't.

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Rog is probably right. I can tell you from my own personal experience that multiple IE uninstalls, reinstalls, upgrades and downgrades take their toll. You may well have some mix and match files.

I have used IEradicator in the past to totally wipe out IE and then start fresh with a new copy.

It also will delete Favorites, so make a backup copy. And it removes the Java Virtual Machine. Be prepared to Download reinstall that too.

But in the end, after you clean things completely and then reinstall Internet Explorer , you'll find your computer is running much better. There is a slight risk of damage, but a Windows overinstall can solve that. I have never had to overinstall. But you will need to get a working copy of IE or some other Browser after you IEradicate.

To get a working Browser(IE) installed, either do a Win ME overinstall to go back to the original MEversion or first download IE 6 or 5.5 before you IERadicate and save it on the hard drive for a complete IE install .

Here are the directions for Downloading IE to disk and saving it.

Download Setup. Click on Setup
    Choose install Minimal or customize your Browser. Click next. Choose the components you want to install.
    Hit the Advanced Button Check the Download only box. Press OK Click next

There is another box here too. Associate file types. Check that if you want IE to be associated with its usual file types.
    -----------------------------

If you try to download the same version or a lower version than the IE you already have installed, you will not be allowed to do that. There's a workaround for that.

Go to Start>Run and Type regedit
    Press enter
    Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
    Highlight Internet Explorer in the left pane. Look in the right pane for this String Value:

Version

Double click on Version. Type 4.0 in the box. Click OK

Now when Update looks at that key, it will see a lower version of IE and you wil be able to download the complete install and save it.

Here's the link to Ieradicator. Read the help file carefully. It only takes a minute to remove IE and start fresh.

http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

You'll then need to go to windows Update and reinstll all the Security Updates too.

12. Dr X

Dr X Thread Starter

Finally the problem was solved. The solution was quite simple. I reinstalled IE 6.0 (without wiping out the older version), restarted, then reinstalled Windows Media Player 9.0 (overinstallation). It works great now!!!

Thanks to everyone for their support and suggestion.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Glad to hear all's well. Overinstallations do often work and are a good choice if the setup files have been preserved. I don't think IE always allows it though, if it thinks the version is already installed. Did you have to follow Mo's instructions for avoiding that?

14. Dr X

Dr X Thread Starter

No, I was lucky and didn't have to use IEradicator. All is fine now.

Cheers

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice