1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}windows not detecting cd-roms.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MICHVEE, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MICHVEE

MICHVEE Thread Starter

Hello and help. This is my first posting. I am experiencing similar problems as a couple of others in the forum and have followed the advice as close as possible but to no avail.

my windows does not detect my cd-rom or my burner but the bios does. there is power to the units and they are wired correctly. they were working fine. They all of a sudden disappeared from the windows device manager.

Under the properties of the computer i get three error messages in the performance tab section.

1. compatibility-mode paging reduces overall system performance

2.drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system

3. Drive D is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.

I know just enough about computer hardware to be dangerous and have no idea what these error messages really mean or how to solve them.

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

If you're useing MS-dos compatability mode to access your drives, you're probably missing the drivers for your motherboard.. I suggest visiting your PC makers website and downloading your motherboard drivers... Check in control panel/system/device manager and see if there's any yellow exclaimation marks next to anything.. If there is please report back and tell us.

3. srhoades

srhoades

most likely it means that your IDE controller drivers are corrupted. However there was a VERY OLD virus that produced the same behavior. I don't remember the name of it.

4. rmay635703

rmay635703

Or it can be caused by resource conflicts with the ide controller and those are tough to remedy. Sometimes installing your motherboard drivers fixes the problems.

On older units try moving the drives around (cd as master, hd as slave) and changing the PNP OS =Yes/no settings

I've had several older motherboards that have all the devices set to 1 irq when PNP OS = YES and they work better with it set to no.

Give a few things a try, get messy and solve your problem :)

Cheers

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You might also check and see if you have any drivers specified in the CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Normally, with W9x, these files are optional, and renaming them and rebooting may help.

7. MICHVEE

MICHVEE Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. i am going through the process
    trying each one. Yes there is yellow markers in the system. Besside an unknown device and the PCI multimedia audio device.
    Probably also explains why i have no sound.

8. ~Candy~

On properties, what does it say the problem is?

9. MICHVEE

MICHVEE Thread Starter

I was able to remove yellow exclamation marks from the two trouble components by getting udated drivers from the oem manufacturer, Still am getting the original 3 error messages as listed above.

10. zamboniman

zamboniman

i have the exact problem but am unable to get the! removed am looking for a site to reinstall compaq cd-rom crd-8402b. i hope they answer you i am unable to get back to loggin

11. ~Candy~

Hi zamboniman, I replied to your email too. Check to be sure you have cookies enabled in your web browser. Also if you are running a pop up blocker, turn it off too.

Michvee, what devices did you end up updating? Did you try my first link I posted above?

12. MICHVEE

MICHVEE Thread Starter

i updated my soundcard driver and my ide driver. i tried the first link but could never get hooked to the site. probably due to my system problems. my system is just getting slower and slower. am going to try to wipe system and reinstall everything and see what happens .

13. MICHVEE

MICHVEE Thread Starter

well i fixed it with a fresh reload of windows 98 and then another updated driver for the sound card .

14. ~Candy~

Sorry you had to go that route, that's been my experience for the best success on that problem as well.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!